Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy

Just rented it on DVD

Finally something fresh.

Now this is my idea of a perfect mix of traditional and CG effects.

The physical creatures are THERE, you can touch them. You can feel a giant rubber suit in front of you as you watch the movie, instead of the unphysical feel of CG, that I've seen in most new Star Wars movies.

It's difficult to describe really. I remember there was a scene where you saw a silouette of some kind of a caterpillar creature on some dark planet maybe 10 meters from the camera, moving.

It's movement looked fake, like something from muppet show, but it felt 100% real, even as a silouette.

I had the feeling if I was on that set and walked there I'd bump into it.

I think that's the first step in realism: physical realism.

Some disney cartoons look a lot more expressive then a lot of movie dolls, but that doesn't make them realistic

Some better lip sync would be nice in the creatures though.

Well enough of that..

I think the film is imaginitive, steps away from the cheesy try-to-be-serious SCI-FI we've seen in 90's, and has a lot of depth.

Haven't felt that adventure type feeling since the last time A new hope felt fresh, and that was at least 10 years ago.

It's all ridiculous, but very interesting to watch, because its original, and makes me feel nostalgic for the days when sci-fi was original and alive, like 70's and early 80's

Something about it made me feel like watching A new hope for the first time again.

It also reminds me of a great film I once saw, but forgot its name. It was a british film I think

about a small guy in a huge company, something very Kafkaish, grotesque, surreal and

exagerated. It had a twisted style, loved it. Anyone know the name of that film?

Loved the DVD transfer. Looked a bit odd, as if done from a wierd kind of copy (DI?), but nontheless very realistic photo rendition, I could almost touch that robots head, it felt so 3D.

That's because photography didn't feel flat. It had depth.

CG blended like a charm I think, exept for the most obvious coputer generated scenes.

Loved the lighting in that snow scene at sunset. Wow, that robot look like the one from those stylish glossy Sony catalogue ad photographs.

Love the way the film mocks everything, including itself, and its own logic, and human logic in general.

It makes humans look kinda stupid even in their peaks of phylosophical thinking, which I think we are in general as a species.

The best part was when those people asked the computer what is the answer to all life.

That's a question people often ask, but its funny because that's not really a question so you can't answer it.

Really, I think human phylosophy and logic needs a slap in the face, that this film gives it.

It takes no sides, and has a kind of a selfdestruct mechanism to ensure it doesn't leave a whole new philosophy, just kind of mocks everything up and then dissapears, selfdestructs.

I love it.

Photography, effects, set design, creatures, story, message. An A from me

It also reminds me of a great film I once saw, but forgot its name. It was a british film I think

about a small guy in a huge company, something very Kafkaish, grotesque, surreal and

exagerated. It had a twisted style, loved it. Anyone know the name of that film?

Are you referring to Terry Gilliam's "Brazil?"

Hitchhiker's looked good and was done pretty well, but as a fan of the books and the slightly cheesy British TV miniseries I found the movie a bit too little & too late.