L.A.: 35mm mag transfer...

J. Anthony Gonzales

I actually would like to know this myself as I'm sure Bill would sense we both want to use Nagras. Anybody? You might find the answers you seek at Recording.org in their sound for film and video section, but be warned up front you get a rash of poop about still wanting to use analog aquisition as opposed to digital, but eventually someone WILL answer your question. B)

I actually would like to know this myself as I'm sure Bill would sense we both want to use Nagras. Anybody? You might find the answers you seek at Recording.org in their sound for film and video section, but be warned up front you get a rash of poop about still wanting to use analog aquisition as opposed to digital, but eventually someone WILL answer your question. B)

Yes, I could go digital, but it'd be a little hard threading DAT on my KEM. =)

And yes, still looking for any leads on my original question. Anybody out there have anything?

Thanks,

John G.

There are still places that do 1/4in tape to 35mm mag transfers in L.A. FotoKem's website says they do it but as to their quality, I don't know, I haven't had sound transfers done there, only film processing. I know there are some more labs and post places that do it as well, you might want to check http://www.la411.com/ It has links and contact info related to filmmaking resources in L.A.

Edited by David A Venhaus

Yes, I could go digital, but it'd be a little hard threading DAT on my KEM. =)

John G.

You got a KEM too, solidarity brother. Old School RULES. I gots 2 of 'em! Between 'em I've got academy, widescreen and scope all covered and here's what I've found, once you get those holes in the DAT cassettes over the KEM spindles, the rest is a breeze. :rolleyes: Oh by the by, you need to change your display name to your real name or they'll delete and that's also why you didn't get any replies before this you just FYI B)

NT Audio

-Sam

ps have not done sound work per se with FotoKem but they did some custom work for me - hi con positive of a track with optical timecode, good work done right.

Sam, how much did they charge you at NT and FotoKem?

Edited by James Steven Beverly

Really? I haven't logged on in a while. Anyway, ok. Display name updated.

You got a KEM too, solidarity brother. Old School RULES. I gots 2 of 'em! Between 'em I've got academy, widescreen and scope all covered and here's what I've found, once you get those holes in the DAT cassettes over the KEM spindles, the rest is a breeze. :rolleyes:

James:

I've got 5! My 8-plate is my baby. It has a nice pair of 3-way picture heads on it. Believe it or not, I've got a 8-perf VistaVision picture head laying around somewhere. Yes, old school DOES rule!

Are you local in Los Angeles?

John G.

Sam, how much did they charge you at NT and FotoKem?

Hi, Although I know them by reputation I've never used NT Audio personally -- the one project I talked to them about went a different route; they were very knowlegeable and the prices seemed in line with NY houses - -Trackwise, Sound One.

FotoKem was quite reasonable

-Sam

Really? I haven't logged on in a while. Anyway, ok. Display name updated.

James:

I've got 5! My 8-plate is my baby. It has a nice pair of 3-way picture heads on it. Believe it or not, I've got a 8-perf VistaVision picture head laying around somewhere. Yes, old school DOES rule!

Are you local in Los Angeles?

John G.

5!!!!?? Whoa. I would LOVE to see that VistaVision head. I thought it was exessive to own 2 :D ! Now I know who to ask when I have questions. I haven't got the chance to use mine yet as I'm still setting my processing and editing rooms up and don't know a lot about flatbed editing so any advice would be greatly apprciated. I'm in El Paso so any sound tracks will have to be shipped out and done. I don't think Pheonix has sound transfer facillities so LA is the next closest place. I want the eventually get an optical sound recorder and do my own but that's down the road. This is very cool though, John :)

Hi, Although I know them by reputation I've never used NT Audio personally -- the one project I talked to them about went a different route; they were very knowlegeable and the prices seemed in line with NY houses - -Trackwise, Sound One.

FotoKem was quite reasonable

-Sam

Thanks Sam but do you have any idea what I can expect costwise? A ballpark figure would do.

About three or four years ago, there was a screening room site that did transfers. Cost was 11 cents per 35mm foot and that included mag stock. They are no longer around, from what I can tell. Hopefully I can find somewhere. I checked out the NT Audio website. I'll give them a call on Monday.

John G.

Edited by J. Anthony Gonzales

So, I contacted NT audio today. Came out to about .24/ft. including full-coat stock. And they don't have the means to transfer 1/4", so that's a DAT price.

I have a few other leads I'm going to look into. Now, mind you, I do have an old MagnaTech dubber that would do the trick. It has an input for sync to a Nagra. I intend to use this machine for scratch tracks and effects. As I am by no means a sound engineer, I would be afraid to transfer all of my production/dialog reels on this machine. Can this be a simple job in so much as just setting the output levels from the Nagra and the input levels on the MagnaTech right? Is that in itself easy to do?

35mm mag stock runs about .04/ft for stripe. That would obviuosly be the cheapest option.

John G.

If your nagra has a pilot tone track and the dubber has the input for it, you should be able to resolve it accurately, as long as it is working correctly and the levels are set right. Probably the easiest way to check is just do a shoot/record a test, then resolve it and then sync the pix/sound on a synchronizer or flatbed,etc and check if the sync is properly maintained throughout the shot.

Also if you are really trying to save money, Tapetape in L.A.(or online) sells one pass mag. stock for about half or less then the new price. I've used it before with no problems.

Your Kems don't have mag heads? Cutting optical sound tracks is how people edited sound before the invention of magnetic tape. Except for maybe special uses, I thought Kems came standard with mag heads. Sometimes they have both optical and mag heads but only optical sound heads seems odd to me, at least for regular editing.

N/T Audio does do optical sound transfers. Talked to them about it for a project I was working on last year but I don't remember the cost of it.

Thanks David. I really wish I had someone here that could show me how to do it and all the little tricks I'll need, but alas, I am in a desert in more than one way. I'll figure it out I'm sure, but there's nothin' like watchin' someone to get a feel for how it's done. Too bad there isn't any DVDs or tapes out there on how to edit on a flatbed. I know for me it would help a lot. I'm much better with a visual explaination that a text one! B)

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks David. I really wish I had someone here that could show me how to do it and all the little tricks I'll need, but alas, I am in a desert in more than one way. I'll figure it out I'm sure, but there's nothin' like watchin' someone to get a feel for how it's done. Too bad there isn't any DVDs or tapes out there on how to edit on a flatbed. I know for me it would help a lot. I'm much better with a visual explaination that a text one! B)

James:

There's a book called "The Film Editing Room Handbook" by Norman Hollyn. Go to Amazon and look for the old 2nd edition copy dated January 1990. There's a whole chapter on working with Kem, building Kem roles, etc. You can get a nice used copy for only a couple of bucks!

Also, check out any behind the scene stuff involving Henry Jaglom. He still uses a Kem to cut his films on. Won't touch video. The Kem actually has a "starring" role in his film, Venice/Venice.

John G.

James:

There's a book called "The Film Editing Room Handbook" by Norman Hollyn. Go to Amazon and look for the old 2nd edition copy dated January 1990. There's a whole chapter on working with Kem, building Kem roles, etc. You can get a nice used copy for only a couple of bucks!

Also, check out any behind the scene stuff involving Henry Jaglom. He still uses a Kem to cut his films on. Won't touch video. The Kem actually has a "starring" role in his film, Venice/Venice.

John G.

DUDE,YOU ROCK!!!! THANKS :D :D :D

John. can you tell me what model MagnaTech dubber you have and, if you know, where I might find one. I would much prefer to do everything in-house if possible and 4 cents a foot sounds a Hell of a lot better than 24 cents a foot. I saw a 16mm dubber on ebay but no 35mms as of yet. Who would carry those and do other companies make 35mm dubbers also anyone know where I could pick up an edge code machine? Thanks-Steve B)

Edited by James Steven Beverly