Shutter flare revisited

GeorgeSelinsky

Hello folks,

I have a problem. My Arriflex IIc (with Cooke Speed Panchro II and III lenses) had a shutter flare problem that was very clear on longer lenses, especially at more open apertures. I get a wavering flare on my video transfer that seems to come from nowhere. It tends to happen near light sources and open sky, but sometimes it has no logic, just comes from a certain part of the frame.

I sent my camera to Visual Products and they supposedly painted up my shutter edges. It wasn't a perfect paint job when I examined it, I had to retouch the camera myself with a sharpie. Is there any other potential source of this problem? I do keep my eye in the finder, but maybe I don't keep it firmly in enough? I really have no clue, is there a possible light leak from the viewfinder or camera door? The film doesn't seem fogged at all. I can't really see this on the negative as it's a very fine wavering to and fro.

Is there a chance that this flicker flare is being exaggerated by the 2:3 pulldown, and that it might not be as bad on a print?

I have quite a few shots that are pas acceptable as far as I'm concerned, some other shots I will have to live with, I'm afraid.

Thanks for any help in advance as always!

- George.

Hi Mitch,

Thanks for the advice as always...

I blackened the gate as best I could with a sharpie (it was pretty blackened already, just one corner right by the ground glass was a bit unblackened).

I did another test, I opened the shutter (with the lenses all in the port) and I can still see something through the viewfinder, a reflection that comes from viewfinder right and tapers off to the left (there is quite a reflection off the two most right of the four bars). Is this normal? As I pan the camera with the shutter closed towards my window I can see this reflection (which looks like an image) move. This seems to me quite abnormal. Any insight as to what this could be?

Also, this reflection is greater when the camera has a 50mm lens than a 25mm.

Thanks again for being so helpful,

- G.

George--

Off the top of my head I have no clue. But if you'd like to get together some time I'd be happy to look. It sounds like one of those things I'd be much better at dealing with if I saw it in right in front of me. Feel free to email me privately.