Ikonoskop A-Camera SP-16

Leon Rodriguez

Has anyone ever shot this little camera? I wonder how it looks? How about an A-Minima? I only know one person with an A minima. Our Kodak rep in Dallas has one. Haven't seen footage from it yet either. Any clips out there or shot on either of these mini's that we might recognize? I'm thinking about the incredable open potential for camera placement. If the A minima is the ideal doggy eye view, I think the A-Camera SP16 would be an ideal Bug's eye view. The Coen bro's would love this little guy.

http://www.ikonoskop.com/

The a-minima is a great camera with tons of functions and neat little things about it. I used it once bolted to a board of wood to get a dolly shot underneath a parked car--impossible with any other camera (except the A-cam). But it's not a good general-use camera. Too finicky, a little loud and it can only take 200' loads which can be a pain. But it's terrific for those specialty times and it makes a great B-camera for bigger shoots.

The A-cam is very limited in its uses in my mind. It does not have reflex viewing, runs very loud like a Bolex and can only take 100' loads. Besides the cute factor, I just don't know how much use I'd ever get out of it. A parallax finder in the 21st century? Hard to believe.

I love the A-minima to pieces. I remember back in high school all the crazy things you did with cameras to weird shots - things you could only do with small video handycams - you can now get on 16mm. Of course, i work with alot of insane directors so maybe my quota for bizarre shots is higher than most. Yeah, the loading is a pain, but that's why we have clapper-loaders : )

Can't say i've shot with the a-cam, But i totally agree with Mitch: A parallax viewfinder... whats up with that?

I have seen some footage shot with the a-cam and it looks great! It's very loud though and like mitch said only take 100 roles. But the lens is of really high quilty. I will do a test shoot in a near future so I can give you a detailed report later!

Frida Wendel