My first reel

Hello,

I am about a week away from cutting my first reel of projects I have done over the past year. My question is concerning the music I would want to use in the reel (a montage type of reel). I want to use a song off a sound track to cut my images too. I know I have seen people do this before on reels, but did they get permission to use the songs or pay for the rights to use the songs? I would like to know before putting the track on the reel and potentially having issues when I send it out. Thanks in advance for your help.

Skot Blank

Student cinematographer

Guest Daniel J. Ashley-Smith

Yeh that issue is a complete pain in the ass to be honest.

It might be worth using un-signed bands music. That what I've done for some of my personal work, there are web sites full of it (And it's completely free). You still have to ask for permission from the band, but you?re in for a better chance of getting it than you are some hugely popular track that?s played on the radio e.t.c.

If you want a huge track that badly then you need to get in contact with the record label. Which believe me can be expensive, I wanted a track by Oasis but my budget wouldn?t allow it.