Reel Advice

Jimmy Browning

I'm about to cut together my reel in a couple months and I wanted some advice on what qualities a good reel has (other than good footage, haha).

I also had a question about post effects. There is some footage that I plan on using for the reel that the editor is planning on doing some effects on. One example is an overhead shot of a person tripping out on drugs. I did about 8 or 10 takes of this, varying different things like speed and shutter angle for each. The editor is planning on layering two or three of these takes on top of each other semi-transparent so that you see a few of them at once.

Do any of you use footage where effects have been added in post for your reels? As of now I'm planning to use the original footage as shot, without the effects, because this is about the photography, not the editing, and I think the effect might take attention away from that. Also, this is something that wasn't originally planned, it was just decided on recently.

• 4 weeks later...

I applaud and identify with your photographic integrity, but if the shot is better with the effects applied, use it. No question.

If you're ever asked about the shot, let them know how it was achieved--I doubt they'll care that it wasn't motion control, with all

the elements on the same negative.

Even though a Cinematographer's reel is about selling their Cinematography, one should fully utilize other disciplines (especially

editing) to maximize the desired impact.