Bye Bye Avid Xpress Pro

Hal Smith

• Premium Member
If I were to buy a second hand old copy of xpress pro (fully legit, just used, with dongle) would I be able to upgrade to composer for 500 bucks, or is it only original registration owners? could be a nifty way to save 4grand.

Interesting idea, if it's possible to hornswaggle Avid that way you'd better do it quick because if that's possible and as the word gets out there won't be any more cheap copies of Xpress Pro on eBay! :(

I got real lucky, I bought an educational copy of Xpress DV and took an offer from Avid to upgrade to the regular version of Xpress Pro, moved to newer versions a couple of times as Avid sent me bargain deals - and now I'm $495 away from Media Composer. The one fly in the ointment is that I'll have to kick my computer up a bit - mainly I'll need one of the Nvidia Quadro FX video cards.

• Premium Member
I got real lucky, I bought an educational copy of Xpress DV and took an offer from Avid to upgrade to the regular version of Xpress Pro, moved to newer versions a couple of times as Avid sent me bargain deals - and now I'm $495 away from Media Composer.

I never received any offers to upgrade from my educational verion. Good for you, I'm jealous ; )

• Premium Member

If you're eligible for a educational discounts, Avid's listing Media Composer Academic for $295! CDWG doesn't list that package yet but it's worth a call to your rep there.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks Hal,

This is priceless! So I hope, anyway.

I viewed your link, and am downloading the Avid "free trial offer" right now. Of course anything 'free' has it's fine print complications, and I hope [as a student] I can train myself on this to begin as a professional editor. I'm more familiar with other products such as VideoWave, myDVD, Roxio Media Creator. Any of this familiar to you? Of course I'm aware of Avid and Final Pro but due to my 'student' level of expertise, I don't want to sell an arm n' leg to buy such fancy stuff. But this free trial offer sounds tasty, I just hope it's not a poison apple that they think they can charge me in near future.

PS

Any advice to give me on seeking intern and/or work opportunity? After five years of LA, Hollywood film trial n' error, I've returned home to Atlanta where I am altering my career path to consider graduate film school [overseas]. Of course, at age of 29, I'm becoming more questionable to academics and more independent to teach myself. Editing seems interesting, but so does cinematography and full doc. film-making. I'm in need of advice from wisemen. Any advice? Thanks again, Dax

Jess, let me contact you on the student copy of Avid Express Pro, when I know more details.