Updated Reel

• Premium Member

Hey,

Just updated my reel... Last one was from July, 2007 and was way too long.

You can view it in SD at:

www.imminentfilm.com/reel.html

or in HD at:

http://vimeo.com/1032873

I think the render made it a little over-exposed for some reason if you have your monitor all the way up, so I'm planning on re-rendering it next time I have a Mac available...

But feedback would be much appreciated!

Thanks.

There is some cool shots around the 3 minute mark. I honestly think is still too long. Try to put the best stuff at the beginning and cut the fat. I know the latter part is hard. But the last thing one wants is to show a reel and have whoever is watching get bored (no offense), so the idea is to make it short and sweet.

Guest Billy Furnett

Gus,

I think you can re-cut a better reel than this.

In my opinion, the cinematography is nice, but as a whole (editing and tone of content wise) , it feels like the ?Journey through landscapes of human experience as depicted on film? just barely gets off the ground before the gravity of too much condensed colder dramatic content footage weighs it down.

That song brutally illustrates, and is itself much of the problem.

It starts out promising, but never leaves 1st gear, it just goes on to be slow burn, bland and one dimensional, only slightly modulating towards it?s end, but by then it is far too little and eons too late. It lacks an overall melodic or dynamic range.

Not likewise, but not completely different either, the disproportionate amount of condensed dramatic footage is killing the emotional dynamic range and variety the piece as a whole could have and put forth.

The combination of the two after 3 minutes is simply depressing, and I hate to put it that way, because I DO see elements in the work I really like.

Obviously in dealing with half a dozen or more sources of footage from just as many projects and nearly as many mediums, a cohesive thread that would normally be available to manipulate if the piece were a single source montage isn?t going to be there, but that "Journey" through a variety of human experience film moments and emotion invoking shots (which is the next best thing) isn?t shining though either, the cinematography chops are there, but the editing and presentation of them is undermining that journey every step of the way.

Maybe others will love it, but to me, a slightly brighter more melodic tune, a wider variety of emotions depicted or invoked by the shots, and a shorter reel would do the cinematography the justice it deserves.

:(

Guest Billy Furnett

I've watched this several more times after posting to give it a double fair, sleep on it shake, and I?m not afraid to admit I am wrong or changed my mind, but I really haven?t all that much, at least not on the song! lol

If you care, here is filler I would cut in a heartbeat:

00:34 (Cute Blonde)

00:45 (Guy beyond what looks like a reception window or he is looking into a mirror)

1:09 (Girl drinking syrup?)

1:14 (Guy over tub with towel)

1:50 (Girl on phone)

1:55 (Close up on girl)

1:59-2:04 (I forget what this is, but it?s gots to go)

2:46 (Girl storms outside)

3:04 (Older man with chess board)

3:38 (Boy enters)

3:48 (Woman with pot crying)

When you look through what is left, some beautiful things have breathing room to emerge:

The guy in the large room sitting against the wall

The boots and TV on the street

The girl submersing her face in the tub

The boy climbing the tree

The guys laughing at the black tie gathering.

The reaction shot of the older woman sitting at the table.

The filler left is stronger then too, like:

The guy staring out the window

The girl emerging from the tub

And others

These clips speak in a station of life wonder, film ?moments? which sell technical prowess by demonstrating what you can make the viewer FEEL.

:)

Edited by Billy Furnett

• Premium Member

You're quite right, Billy. I really appreciate the feedback. I don't have much time now to ruminate or respond, but I will in a day or so.

Again, I really very much appreciate it. Thank you.

Gus

Hey Gus,

How'd the feature go? I like the material on your reel, it really gives a sense that you have "vision." That said, the reel does - like the song says - "it goes on." How about 3 minutes?

Did you get an invitation to the "Banker" Screening?

Best,

Jon.

• Premium Member
Hey Gus,

How'd the feature go? I like the material on your reel, it really gives a sense that you have "vision." That said, the reel does - like the song says - "it goes on." How about 3 minutes?

Did you get an invitation to the "Banker" Screening?

Best,

Jon.

The feature went well in a lot of ways... I felt like I did some of the best work I've ever done (which I can not include in my reel for a little while - although I may post some footage of the HPX3000 in action for others to see), but it was a very long 20 days... mostly because of a pretty shizzy production crew. Otherwise, my crew was great and we made all of our days (107 scenes and 105 pages in 20 days... :) Thanks for asking.

Hah, I am going to cut this down as per Billy and others' recommendations.

I did get an invite. If I don't get a job shooting a doc at that time I'm going to RSVP. Were you happy with how it turned out?

105 pages in 20 days. Yikes! Did you have stand-ins?

"Banker ..." turned out pretty well. Photographically, it's my usual nice, boring stuff, the actors really sell it. I would love to have a second color-correction session; some shots still need to come down, but I think it will look pretty good projected. Hope to see you at the screening.