Shotgun Microphone Recommendations

Ri Stewart

We're looking at 3 shotgun microphones. The Neumann KMR 82i, the ubiquitous Sennheiser MKH416, and the Rode NTG-3.

The Neumann seems to be about 3 times the sensitivity, which is nice with my JVC HD101. Many mics seem like they need more power with the camera. The Rode does well in high humidity, which is great for our nature work in the rain forest.

The Sennheiser is ubiquitous.

Am I missing any other contenders? I am leaning towards the Rode, but the NT2-A I already own doesn't impress me much, and requires a tube preamp to make up for it's poor sensitivity.

Would the Neumann be a lifetime mic, and worth the extra $$$?

Thanks for your input

It depends your budget. If you don't have enough cash get a Rode.

I own a NTG-1 it's rather ok for the price, but not more. It seems like they did a good job on the NTG-3, but one always has to listen.

If money is no concern I'd hear in to higher end stuff.

The MKH-60 is pretty much THE standard today and has approved its reliability over the years. It sounds very natural, has a lot of output and very low noise. The 416 is still a good choice, even if it sounds a bit unnatural it renders the human voice in good way, but is a bit noisy.

In the last years most of the considerable manufactures brought out some alternatives. You already mentioned the Neumann, there's the Schoeps CMIT 5U, the DPA 4017 and the Sanken CS-1 and CS-3.

Of these later ones I only heard the CS-1 and was pretty impressed.

cheers, Bernhard

Edited by Bernhard Zitz

• 3 months later...

The Neumann 82i is a long shotgun and therefore almost a specialty microphone the other 2 you mentioned are 'short' shotguns. So there's a difference. The Sennheiser 416 is a classic and there's a reason why. Rode tries to copy the 416, I've never used on of theirs, but i have problem understanding your statement that you need a 'tube' preamp to make up for its poor sensitivity....?

It might be easier to get an helpful answer if you'd describe what you're planning to shoot and what your technical set-up is. What mixer are you using......etc, etc

good luck , Karl

• 2 weeks later...