Which Model Bolex for My Scanning Rig?

Topher Ryan

No problem. Keep it going, I'm learning from all of this...

As for using a 16mm projector you might have to mill out the gate a bit since it cuts off some of the edges of the image. I once did a rotoscope experiment with a movie projector using a filmstrip projector for the light source after removing the movie projector bulb and moving the film frame by frame with the inching knob and reflecting from a mirror to the back of an animation board made of clear plexiglass. I was eventually planning on adapting a Slo-Syn animation drive to the inching knob. The same principle applies to the J-K printer. By removing the shutter and having the claw stop while it's in the film before it pulls it down you get a sort of pin registration. One projector ideal for this is the old RCA. I even rebuilt claws for this model.

• 6 years later...

I'm working on a similar setup using a Bolex Rex5, Tobin TTL motor, and Arduino controller w/ simple relay, LED strip lights, and a digital point and shoot 20MP Canon Powershot w/ Macro lens. Has anyone made any headway into this area recently?