Music Video

Back in January I shot a trio of music videos for this one group. I worked for next to nothing on these low budget videos in exchange for a place to crash for my move to LA. The first two videos were a disaster. There were 3 days of shooting for 2 videos. The First day I had a gaffer, 1st AC, and a Key Grip. 2nd Day I had a Gaffer and 1st AC. 3rd Day I had only a 1st AC (because no one would show up)... and they fed us carrot soup for lunch...

A few weeks later the last video came up. For this video I was promised things wouldn't be like they were on the last two, and for the most part they weren't, apart from my two most experience people leaving half way through the day... volunteering. :-(

During prep for the video the Director expressed he wanted this cross processed look... well first thing I though was to shoot cross processed film. Unfortunately this was too low budget and they were getting a good deal on a RED. So in shake I made this node tree that would get us the look... maybe not exactly like cross processed film... but the best i could do without printing or something. I then applied that to some exposure tests and I found an exposure that I liked so when shooting I could light it to that stop. That stop was +2 over. I shot the video at 3k 16x9 320asa because we wanted to shoot a lot of 48fps stuff. I thought it was going to be hard getting the stop I wanted but I used Zeiss super speeds and lit the shots to a T2 and just opened up to T1.3 whenever shooting 48fps. I ran a 12k put put Genny out back and powered 2 x 4k ArriSun's for the key lights (the videos concept was a series of the same shot traveling backwards on a dolly) and then ran a stove plug adapter to power 2 x mini9's for the back light.

Heres a Clip of the look using Shake:

http://www.chayseirvin.com/video/graincomp.mov

I also composited grain into the highlights by sending the cross processed DPX into Color and generating grain with one of the filters in there. I took that back into shake and with a lumakey I comped the grain in just the highlights to add texture.

Anyway, I saw the video today and was really disappointed. They trashed the cross processed look for something that looks over exposed, desaturated and brown with horribly clipped highlights. I'll post the video when its released...

videoclip.png

I don't know what it is, but I dont think music videos like me very much. This one I think just pushed me into retirement.

• Premium Member

I really dig the look you went for. Even though she was not the most engaging performer, and perhaps the concept for the video might not have been the best choice (not your fault).

The look they went for, as per the still, is no good.

But I liked your work on the video that took place in the laundry, and the one with the blues singer in the loft space. Don't hang it up yet. Some music videos just aren't thrown together by the production company as seriously as others.

I really dig the look you went for. Even though she was not the most engaging performer, and perhaps the concept for the video might not have been the best choice (not your fault).

The look they went for, as per the still, is no good.

But I liked your work on the video that took place in the laundry, and the one with the blues singer in the loft space. Don't hang it up yet. Some music videos just aren't thrown together by the production company as seriously as others.

IT works out to be ok. This is just one take. We redo this shot over and over again with different layers and they edit between all the layers for 3 different sections of the song and sections of the location. We did a lot of layers, 16hours worth. And then we did a different set up for 20 seconds of the video which side scrolls. Thanks for the support gus.