Contracts for Actors?

Hello everyone,

I recently posted an ad on Craigslist looking for actors for my short film. I listed in the ad saying that we cannot compensate them in any way because we, ourselves, are students. We are preferably looking for new, starting out actors who are students like ourselves too.

With that being said, is it still wise to draw up a contract? If so, what grounds do I need to cover in the contract to keep us safe from any legal issues of any sort? So far, I can think of one, which is "No Compensation" which is, in other word, VOLUNTEER.

Thanks in advance!

- Jason

If you want your film to be legitimate in the end you need to generate a "differed payment" contract. At least here in the UK it is illegal to work for free. But the way you do it is that the contract states that should the film make any money the actor gets a certain percentage of the money up to a certain amount. It can also state that the film needs to make a certain amount first and pay for itself before you start paying them.

I mean it's very unlikely that a short film makes money, but it's a very good idea to have this. The contract should also make the actor sign that he agrees for his participation to be shown in anyway and any medium and that you are also not obliged to include him in the final film.

I live in the states, so volunteering is a-okay... I hope...

Anyway, I have already told the actors that they will be doing this on volunteer basis, but I just wanted to be extra careful. Here's something I drew up:

VOLUNTEER RELEASE FORM

I, ____________________________, hereby acknowledge that I am participating as an actor in a student made short film called “(title)” (the “Project”) being produced by (production name) (the “Producer”).

I hereby irrevocably grant to the Producer, its licensees, agents, distributors, successors and assigns, the right, but not the obligation, in perpetuity throughout the world and in all media, now or hereafter known, to use (in any manner it deems appropriate, and without limitation) in and in connection with the Project, by whatever means exhibited, advertised or exploited:

• "Behind the scenes" footage/photos/recordings of me shot on or around the

production set or at any other Project-related meetings or activities

• Any suggestions and/or ideas I contribute to the Project

• My name in relation to the Project

I understand that I am working entirely on a volunteer basis and that Producer is not promising me any compensations, ownership or attachments to the Project. Notwithstanding the foregoing, Producer agrees to accord me standard credit on versions of Project distributed with other crew credits. I attest that I have voluntarily agreed to participate in all parts of this production, and that this document contains my entire and complete agreement concerning the topic herein.

If, for any reason, that I am injured in any way, I will not hold the Producer reliable. All disputes, controversies, or claims arising out of or relating to this contract shall be submitted binding arbitration in accordance with the applicable rules of the American Arbitration Association then in effect.

By signing below, I have read and agreed to all the statements above.

Name (printed): ____________________________________

Signature: ____________________________________

Date: ____________________________________

Address: ____________________________________

Telephone: ____________________________________

is this good enough? or shall i need to add more?

• 3 weeks later...
I live in the states, so volunteering is a-okay... I hope...

Anyway, I have already told the actors that they will be doing this on volunteer basis, but I just wanted to be extra careful. Here's something I drew up:

VOLUNTEER RELEASE FORM

I, ____________________________, hereby acknowledge that I am participating as an actor in a student made short film called “(title)” (the “Project”) being produced by (production name) (the “Producer”).

I hereby irrevocably grant to the Producer, its licensees, agents, distributors, successors and assigns, the right, but not the obligation, in perpetuity throughout the world and in all media, now or hereafter known, to use (in any manner it deems appropriate, and without limitation) in and in connection with the Project, by whatever means exhibited, advertised or exploited:

• "Behind the scenes" footage/photos/recordings of me shot on or around the

production set or at any other Project-related meetings or activities

• Any suggestions and/or ideas I contribute to the Project

• My name in relation to the Project

I understand that I am working entirely on a volunteer basis and that Producer is not promising me any compensations, ownership or attachments to the Project. Notwithstanding the foregoing, Producer agrees to accord me standard credit on versions of Project distributed with other crew credits. I attest that I have voluntarily agreed to participate in all parts of this production, and that this document contains my entire and complete agreement concerning the topic herein.

If, for any reason, that I am injured in any way, I will not hold the Producer reliable. All disputes, controversies, or claims arising out of or relating to this contract shall be submitted binding arbitration in accordance with the applicable rules of the American Arbitration Association then in effect.

By signing below, I have read and agreed to all the statements above.

Name (printed): ____________________________________

Signature: ____________________________________

Date: ____________________________________

Address: ____________________________________

Telephone: ____________________________________

is this good enough? or shall i need to add more?

If you want a solid contract, you should try to find a book that has professionally made contracts. Modify one of those contracts ever so slightly to fit the situation, but don't get involved in writing entire contracts from scratch unless you're very experienced in it. I'm not a lawyer, so don't take this as legal advice.