Genova

I had the chance to watch Genova this weekend which has been around a little while on DVD but with very little discussion about it I thought it would be worth bringing up here, for the very least that it was shot mostly on a Sony V1 HDV camera and very good looking considering.

Its in its director's, Michael Winterbottom's, best tradition, real-worldly and energetic - its certainly not perfect but has a real power to it because of those two strong ingredients.

Its quite a sad film, about an American and his two daughters moving to the Italian city after the death of his wife/there mother, and is very much in the spirit of Viaggio in Italia and also strangely Don't Look Know

Considering its shot on a CMOS HDV camera the film is very visually strong, fascinating considering the limitations (and annoyances!) of the technology used.

Very much worth a look in if interested in DV/HDV cinematography which seems to have gone a little out of vogue now in art and indie films post Red.

I also liked the film very much, I am writing my second-year-paper in film school about the movies of michael winterbottom with marcel zyskind and about their use of DV/HDV cameras with small teams and set ups, in movies like "genova", "in this world", "the road to guantanemo" and "nine songs". if someone has some thoughts or information on this subject i would appreciate a word!

all the best,

Dror