Double Polarizers

I'm going to be shooting a 16mm film for school in the next couple of weeks and I just wanted to know the effects certain filters would have (we're shooting Kodak Vision 2 500T; on the ArriSR1 if that helps at all).

We want to set up the camera right in front (outside) of a clear restaurant door and shoot 2 of our characters eating inside. The problem is that if we do that, there will be a reflection of the camera in the shot. We can't shoot the scene at night and we have to shoot the scene straight on.

I know polarizer filters will eliminate the reflection on the glass, however, I'm worried there will still be a noticeable reflection. My question is this: if we used 2 polarizer filters, would it help reduce the reflection further? Or are there diminishing returns?

*Because of the daylight mixed with the stock's speed, we can afford the loss of the 4 stops the polarizers will create.

Thanks in advance for your help.

So you mean to tell me that despite rising from the dead, you, Stanley Kubrick (a highly experienced professional and award winning still photographer before becoming a film director) you don't know the answer to this question? :lol: Please change your alias to your real name as per forum rules.

A double polarizer should only be used after extensive testing and as carefully as possible. Two polarizers in front of the lens, depending how they are positioned, could prevent most light from reaching the image plane, causing some serious underexposure. Try holding them in front of you and turning them slowly to see what I mean. Also you would need to add 4 stops to your interior restaurant exposure as compensation, making it very impractical all around

The easiest thing to achieve what you want is to keep the camera at off to the side so as to not see its reflection in the shot while using one polarizer only. If the camera must be at a right angle form the window, then cover the camera, tripod and operator in black duvetyne or camouflage cloth or whatever is needed to make it blend to the surroundings outside the window while only using one polarizer. If the camera is positioned somewhere inconspicuous in the frame and movement is kept to a minimum, you should be able to keep attention away from it.

Edited by Saul Rodgar

• Premium Member

Exactly what shot do you want? There is probably a better way to solve the problem than stacking 2 POLAs, which do tend to have severely diminishing results as compared to just one POLA.

Two polarisers probably won't do any more than one. If the reflected light is perfectly poalrised, one filter will do the job. If it isn't (as most likely the case), then adding more polarisers won't help at all.

Best (as suggested before) try to minimise the light outside. A black tent or flat would be one way.

And can you throw more light on the characters inside the restaurant? That would help too, if you don't see too much of the exterior (except the glass) to give the trick away.