Loading Tri-X

Cohen Phillips

It makes sense to what George says, with the exception of a camera like an Auricon (similar to the CP-16) which has a complicated loading path. With regard to Tri-X, because it is 200 speed, you want to be careful not to load the camera in too bright of light. You will get much more fogging than something like a 25 speed film. One way to minimize fogging is to put the reel itself in a changing bag and dig a little piece of film out through a small cranny in the bag. You will therefore only fog the film that you actually thread the camera with. I used to load cameras completely in the dark, but this usually lead to swearing and cursing and gnashing of teeth on my part, so I gave up the practice on the advice of my doctor ;) With higher speed films, such as 400 speed, it becomes more and more imperative to keep light to a minimum using either the method I described or complete darkness. Of course, with spools bigger than 100 feet, this isn't as much a problem either, and 16mm is only run one way so it doesn't fog you on the way back too like DR8 does. All the best of luck. Also, I'd recommend practicing loading your camera several times until you can almost do it with your eyes closed if you really want to conserve every bit of film. You'll save yourself a lot of grief.

Regards.

~Karl Borowski

Thanks guys for the help! :D I thought it would be ok, but wanted to check with the higher ups. ;) I'm looking into getting a changing bag. And I have been practicing loading the camera with some exposed film. Another quick question while we're at it...is there a company that sells daylight spools? Or can you get these from Kodak? Just wondering. :)

I'm looking into getting a changing bag.

If you don't have a changing bag, you can use other things. You can go into a dark basement to load the film, load the film in a room with only a sliver of light for very minimal illumination, throw a coat over your camera in a dark corner, or use black trashbags. The idea is to minimize light as much as possible if not eliminate it completely. As for getting extra spools, don't you just need one of them (per roll of film being shot at a time)? The film comes with its own spool and it winds onto the one in your camera. After you get the film processed, you get the extra spool. If you want, I have dozens just laying around the house and I'd be happy to mail you one. Good luck!

Regards.

~Karl Borowski

Karl, yeah if you be willing to mail me a couple that'd be great. I just wrote you a PM. Thanks guys for all the tips! I got the Tri-X loaded and already have started shooting with it. Thanks again for the help. ;)

If you want, I have dozens just laying around the house and I'd be happy to mail you one.  Good luck!

Regards.

~Karl Borowski