Joining the Roster...

Hello everyone, first let me apologize if I have posted this in the wrong section, I just had some questions in regards to the roster and the union.

My main question is should I enter in as a camera operator or as a DP? I have finally accrued 100 days working as both a cinematographer and camera operator. I have been trying to get my materials together and I have been talking with CASTF and they said that I have to pick one or the other. I'm trying to make my step up into bigger projects and I would like to join the union.

I know that the DP route is much more expensive, but I would also like to be able to work as a camera operator, does joining as a DP hinder you from working as a camera op? And if I join as an operator will I be able to work as a DP?

I really appreciate any advice you can give. And if you have any links to any other literature or websites that explain it I would appreciate it as well.

Thank you again for your help.

Best wishes,

P.

• Premium Member

If you join as a Director of Photography the local will let you work below that classification as a Camera Operator without having to officially re-rate to the lower classification. This is a hold-over from the rules of the New York Local 644 before the West Coast (659) merged with New York and Chicago(666). As a Camera Operator you may work as a Director of Photography but after 30 days if you want to continue to work as a Director of Photography you will have to officially re-rate to the higher classification. By way of clarification, working as the Director of Photography AND Camera Operator on the same production is allowed but only with the permission of the local on a case by case basis.

If you join as a Director of Photography the local will let you work below that classification as a Camera Operator without having to officially re-rate to the lower classification. This is a hold-over from the rules of the New York Local 644 before the West Coast (659) merged with New York and Chicago(666). As a Camera Operator you may work as a Director of Photography but after 30 days if you want to continue to work as a Director of Photography you will have to officially re-rate to the higher classification. By way of clarification, working as the Director of Photography AND Camera Operator on the same production is allowed but only with the permission of the local on a case by case basis.

Thank you so much Paul! This is very informative and I appreciate it very much.

P.