Looking to Pimp Out my Eclair ACLII

Rio

Hello everyone, great information here.

I would love input from experts here on what are the best add-ons I can get for my Eclair ACLII. I'm willing to get the best I can afford. Just got an ACLII, going to convert it to Ultra 16mm soon. Any suggestions on everything from camera-specific to audio stuff to work with my camera would be most appreciated.

In short, please list for me what the "dream" Eclair ACLII camera production package would look like.

Many thanks!

Ideally I'd like to have 4 onboard batteries, and 4 block batteries with chargers. Super16 conversion. A PL mount with Canon zoom*Or a set of those Hawk V-Lites!!!*. Arri MB20 Mattebox Arri FF5. Preston remote FF. Color video tap. O'conor 2060 and Arri Gear Head. 7" On board monitor. But, alas these are just dreams!

Realistically, I would consider getting the Color video tap and S16 conversion with PL mount... Then renting everything else listed. Heck, I only have a 1.5 so no on board batteries for me! I would still consider saving up for those V-Lites though... I feel like I'd be able to rent those out and then use them for my own projects as well. Just got to add it to the mortgage!

The whole point of the ACL is that it's a versatile camera capable of different uses, you should decide what you want to use your camera for and then can decide what upgrades you need. I don't think there is one ultimate ACL as someone might prefer the smallest package possible while another wants something bigger.

Some essential upgrades:

15mm mounting rods for Matte Box and follow focus, check out http://www.americancinespec.com/pages/Eclair.html, I bought my rods from them and he makes an excellent product with good customer support. I wouldn't buy an eclair without getting a set of these rods.

PL mount adapter, check on ebay for a c mount to pl mount adapter for $375, Les Bosher makes a cs ring to pl mount which is a little more reliable than the c mount but either should work.

Then the other piece of equipment made for the ACL is the video tap which I believe goes for $1600. If you do a lot of work where you require others to see the camera image, this is needed, and it is a great investment into your ACL

A nice case- keep the camera protected

Recommended: Extra magazines, extra batteries

Glass, matte box and follow focus can be rented or bought depending on what you want. I think the advantage to renting the very best glass beats out the convenience of owning your own nice set.

Also I'm assuming you have a kinoptik viewfinder because yours is an ACL II, this is considered the best viewfinder for the ACL. One was just on ebay for a buy it now of $875.

Good luck getting your package together.

Here's some pretty decent suggestions with links: http://eclair16.com/eclair-acl/accessories/

The two things that affect your image are the format (Super-16, Ultra-16, etc) and the lens. So with that it mind the ultimate rig for me would be Super-16 with a PL mount for use with rented Cine lenses.

One more piece that can affect the image is color correct and ND filters and you need some way to attach them in front of the lens. So, a good accessory is a matte box or lens hood (or just filters that screw into your lens threads).

For all the other stuff, renting is a good option. Since you don't always need everything for every shoot there's a good chance that you'll never really "break even" with buying all the support gear and you can have much better pro gear when you need it.

Wow, great information everyone! Also, to the guy who private messaged me about his Eclair accessories, I'll be getting in touch with you when can devote the proper time and effort to respond to your email.

I am getting back into film production after a long hiatus, I have produced work in regular 16mm, Super 8mm, broadcast-quality video formats before, made a decent living from it. I hope to use this camera for a bit of everything from stock footage gathering, documentary shooting, to creating films to submit to Cannes. I also have a Canon Scoopic MS in pristine condition WITH the Cinema Products 400ft. adaptor (rare!) so that thing has been a good grab and shoot camera for its convenience and quality. I'm still trying to dig through all the stuff that came with my ACLII that I purchased from another filmmaker, the instruction manual looks like it was written by someone whose English was worse than a 2nd language!

Thanks for giving me a warm welcome here for my first posting everyone!

Website

IMDB