Few questions about the K-3

Guest Toni Halonen

Guest Toni Halonen

Hello

This is my first post to here. I'm starting my first short movie projekt to film and here's couple of questions that came to my mind.

What focal lenghts with 35mm film gives the same degree as the k-3 orginal lens Meteor 17-69mm with 16mm film?

How do I count the shutterspeed of my K-3?

Hope you understood something.

If I understand what you're asking, the lenses focal length equivelance, when using a 35mm lens on a 16mm camera is that you double the focal length ie; a 50mm lens for a 35mm camera would give you the angle of view as a 16mm lens with the focal legth of a 100mm. Was that the question?

as for counting (calculating) the shutter speed of the K-3: The K-3(s) that I used in the past where non sync. (wild) spring wound motors, there should be a little dial on the side of the camera that sets your film speed........the spring wound K-3 is a non sync camera, so the speed calculations will vary while shooting, and if I recall the camera, are estimates, the camera does not have a variable shutter, but I do believe some people have modified the K-3 for a sync motor......hope I answered your questions....

JD

www.cineshooter.com

Guest Toni Halonen

Thanks for the answers. The first answer was just what I was looking for. Are you sure it doubles like that because 2X16 isn't 35.

Why I would like to know how to calculate the shutter speed is because then I could use some other lightmeter than the one that is intergrated to camera.

Sorry for poor English.

Double is the way I have always done it.

As for the light meter issue, I'm not following, if you have a meter set the meters ASA/ISO for the film stock you are using, then set you speed 24FPS, 30FPS 75FPS (if you are using a meter w/o cine reading you need to do the math 30FPS = 1/60th of a second (because you camera's shutter will be closed for half the time)whatever speed you are shooting, any wild motor camera will have slight variables, they are not figured in for metering, and then take your reading

happy shooting

JD

www.cineshooter.com

Doubling the focal length is a good general approximation. It doesn't translate perfectly because of different aspect ratios.

The K3 does not have a 180 degree shutter though. It has a 150 degree shutter, so at 24 fps you get a shutter speed of 1/60th. At 32 fps, you get a shutter speed of 1/80th. This works well if you are using a non cine lightmeter because it correlates close enough to 35mm still camera shutter speeds. If you have a cine light meter, just input the 150 deg. shutter angle, the film speed, and the FPS and let it do the math....

Guest Toni Halonen
Doubling the focal length is a good general approximation.  It doesn't translate perfectly because of different aspect ratios. 

The K3 does not have a 180 degree shutter though.  It has a 150 degree shutter, so at 24 fps you get a shutter speed of 1/60th.  At 32 fps, you get a shutter speed of 1/80th.  This works well if you are using a non cine lightmeter because it correlates close enough to 35mm still camera shutter speeds.  If you have a cine light meter, just input the 150 deg. shutter angle, the film speed, and the FPS and let it do the math....

Thanks. That's just what i needed to know, because I have no money to buy a cine lightmeter so I have to use normal photography meter. Or how much does these cinemeters cost at lowest in ebay.

The normal photography meter will work just fine for your needs. The cine meters on ebay usually run around $300 to $600 USD. Not cheap, but better then store prices. You just have to compare readings with another meter to make sure they are calibrated correctly when you recieve them. They are nice to have, but certainly not a requirement by any means.

You can get an analog Sekonic L398 Studio Deluxe for way below those prices

I think you could probably find it on ebay for under $100 USD

However I'd check to see it's properly calibrated.

If you look through the forum you'll find threads praising the L398

It's a great analog meter that works great for cine & photography.

Anyways good luck

The K3 is a good camera I just pick one up the other day from my friend

It's been years since I've shot with it, we're testing it out...

Wanna do a two camera short shoot with it...it's very good camera.

I've got one quick question how do you know which type of mount it has?

It's a screw mount with diff. size from a C mount

I can't tell which if it is a Pentax M42 mount at first glance.

You can get an analog Sekonic L398 Studio Deluxe for way below those prices

I think you could probably find it on ebay for under $100 USD

However I'd check to see it's properly calibrated.

If you look through the forum you'll find threads praising the L398

It's a great analog meter that works great for cine & photography.

Anyways good luck

The K3 is a good camera I just pick one up the other day from my friend

It's been years since I've shot with it, we're testing it out...

Wanna do a two camera short shoot with it...it's very good camera.

I've got one quick question how do you know which type of mount it has?

It's a screw mount with diff. size from a C mount

I can't tell which if it is a Pentax M42 mount at first glance.

I picked up a mint condition Gossen LunaPro on eBay for $125. Even came with manual and case.

The screw thread on the K3 is 42mm and compatible with the Pentax M42 mount. There are other models of the K3 out there that have a non-compatible bayonet mount.

Guest jeremy edge

Since were talking k3 on here .I have a few questions :

What are some good names in m42 mount lenses that cover the super 16 gate?

There are TONS of m42 lenses for sale for good prices even some zeiss but I want to know what to watch out for.I know the peleng lens is a sweet thing to have so I have my eyes out for one of those.there are also a lot of similar fisheyes on ebay as well. But i would like to know if there are a few primes that would give me better performance than the stock k3 zoom?

A lot of people say the k3 lens is pretty good ...for a stock lens.

i just got a k3 off a guy i kinda know and trust for a very good price.He's ran it about 5 times and got good film back.So I couldnt resist.

About the tcs motor ...clive's coming out with a new version...for tent. price of $495.heres the kicker though...the installation is hard...you have to send it to a shop to get installed...proabably around $400 job.

Now thats a lot of $ to throw at a cheap camera BUT if you could do the gate yourself and get the motor done ...you have a reflex viewing super 16 crystal camera for less than you can have anywhere else.Pretty cool i think...even with its limitations.

Yes it will still be loud but whats the least expensive crystal camera you can quietly shoot dialog with? just record scratch audio and rerecord....thats the way a lot of the big dogs do it anyway right?

• Premium Member
Since were talking k3 on here .I have a few questions :

What are some good names in m42 mount lenses that cover the super 16 gate?

There are TONS of m42 lenses for sale for good prices even some zeiss but I want to know what to watch out for.I know the peleng lens is a sweet thing to have so I have my eyes out for one of those.there are also a lot of similar fisheyes on ebay as well. But i would like to know if there are a few primes that would give me better performance than the stock k3 zoom?

A lot of people say the k3 lens is pretty good ...for a stock lens.

i just got a k3 off a guy i kinda know and trust for a very good price.He's ran it about 5 times and got good film back.So I couldnt resist.

About the tcs motor ...clive's coming out with a new version...for tent. price of $495.heres the kicker though...the installation is hard...you have to send it to a shop to get installed...proabably around $400 job.

Now thats a lot of $ to throw at a cheap camera BUT if you could do the gate yourself and get the motor done ...you have a reflex viewing super 16 crystal camera for less than you can have anywhere else.Pretty cool i think...even with its limitations.

Yes it will still be loud but whats the least expensive crystal camera you can quietly shoot dialog with?  just record scratch audio and rerecord....thats the way a lot of the big dogs do it anyway right?

A CP-16's about the cheapest sync camera I can think of and I've seen them around a grand on ebay, and they have 400 foot mags made for them, something the K3 lacks. I'd leave the K3 as an MOS camera, personally.

I agree with you the K3 can be a good & cheap S16 camera

It's definitely great for doing MOS handheld shots

And is very good as a B-cam for Music Videos.

As for M42 lenses just try to get any Pentax 35mm SLR lens

Since they're for 35mm cameras they'll cover S16

So just look out for any 35mm lens on an M42 mount.

There also are some adapters for the M42 mount

I know you can get an M42--C-mount adapter

And you could use C-mount Switar lenses or Canon TV lenses which cover S16

You can also get an M42--Nikon mount adapter

And you can use Nikon 35mm still lenses which are very good

And I agree that the K3 stock lens is very good, but it won't cover S16 all the way.

And about the cheapest S16 camera...

Yeah the CP16 is probably it...

The cheapest synch sound (quiet & Xtal synch) S16 camera around

However you'll probably not find the best CP16 for that price, forget about a CP16R

I'd say it'd cost around 4 grand to have a really good one

That has a reflex viewfinder, well maintained, with S16 gate, and PL mount.

That doesn't even include a lens that covers S16

For that price you can probably get an ACL...

Even probably an LTR or SR

(Which by the way I've seen some good deals for on Ebay this week

Check for Arriflex SR and Aaton XTR)

I still believe the K3 is probably the cheapest S16 camera out there (1200grand)

Followed by the Bolex.

And the K3 is much simpler to use than the CP16.