USS Intrepid

Brian Dzyak

This August, my family will be taking my father on a surprise trip to the USS Intrepid museum. It'll be his first trip back to the ship since he served in the 1960s. I'll be documenting his visit on camera as he walks through reminiscing with his children and grandchildren.

The plan is to use something like a Canon 7D or some other small camera (with wide lens). Audio will likely be a lav plugged directly into a recorder that he'll wear to avoid having to use RF.

I'm wondering if anyone out there has shot on and inside the Intrepid who might have advice and/or warnings, things to watch out for, etc. Is the lighting too dim at any point inside?

Thanks!

The lighting is pretty bright and the space quite airy, at least the sections I have visited. The sections open as a museum are I believe the old hangar spaces, the flight deck. The stuff in there is geared mostly for kids and young adults. The main attraction is the top deck with all those great planes.

I've only been in the Intrepid with my kids so I don't know what access is available to the inner workings of the ship. I would certainly suggest you contact the operators of the museum to see if special arrangements can be made. It would be sure to make the day even more special for your father. I'm sure that yours would not be the first such request they have received so they likely have policies in place.

The lighting is pretty bright and the space quite airy, at least the sections I have visited. The sections open as a museum are I believe the old hangar spaces, the flight deck. The stuff in there is geared mostly for kids and young adults. The main attraction is the top deck with all those great planes.

I've only been in the Intrepid with my kids so I don't know what access is available to the inner workings of the ship. I would certainly suggest you contact the operators of the museum to see if special arrangements can be made. It would be sure to make the day even more special for your father. I'm sure that yours would not be the first such request they have received so they likely have policies in place.

Thank you. Yes, I've already spoken with officials there and we'll be off the beaten path, so to speak. :)