good zoom lens to use on 7D for concert shoot

Pierre P Blais

I did a quick search on this but didn't find anything addressing my concern so I though I'd just post directly.

I'm going to be shooting some concert footage on a 7D, and I'm thinking I should maybe rent a good zoom lens for the event. The reason behind this is:

#1 my own lens kit only has prime lens (the longest being an 85), the only zoom I have is the rather not so versatile and rather slow 17-55 lens that came bundled with my first DSLR (t2i)

#2 I want to avoid having to switch lens because the concert is only about 1h long, and while I'm not looking to capture beginning to end (12min cap anyways), I do want to get as much as possible.

#3 I'd want to vary my framing, but I can't move much during the concert, because this is a concert in a classical hall I've been required to be as discreet as possible. I will be positioned at aprox. 30' from the stage (based on the hall measurements I was given).

because I'm renting price isn't an issue. so you can go crazy with your suggestions! I am concerned about speed tough, I have no idea what lighting condition I'll be faced with during the event... In classical concert the room rarely goes completely dark and the stage tends to be richly and evenly lit on the performers, but I need to be prepared for the eventuality of having low light conditions. an ƒ2.8 would be ideal, I'm afraid that a 4 would be taking a bit of a risk.

I need something that goes into the telephoto range to get some close-ups and tighter framing on stage, how much of a telephoto I'm not really sure. because I will only be allowed in the hall the day of the concert I kinda have to be prepared for anything.

I was thinking maybe the 70-200mm ƒ2.8 L would be a candidate but I'm worried that on an APS-C cam the field of view would be too narrow at 70, any thoughts? I am shooting an ensemble of 20 musicians and 2 dancers performing on a roughly 36' stage and I would like to have some wider shot of the full ensemble. I could consider renting two lens because during the concert there will be 2 spoken interventions which don't really interest me, which I could use to switch lens, 2 lens would be my maximum.

thanks for any suggestions and comments, and if you think I'm approaching this the wrong way do let me know (constructively please), I am still a fairly unexperienced DP still learning...

cheers

Pierre

• 1 month later...