Do HMI's and recording studios mix?

Hey all, I am going to gaff a pretty large music video in a recording studio, one of those "behind the scenes" types. They will be recording the music live as we shoot the video and I just realized that the 2x 2.5k HMI's we planned on using may mess with the audio track. Will it? Recommend using something else?

Some details that may help you answer my question accurately:

The space is rather large (~100'x200') and sound proofed

It is a 20 piece orchestra and a singer

The HMI's will be about 50-75' from them, shooting into a booklight style setup in the ceiling

The ballasts can be in a different room

Thanks for the help!

Matt

.. 2.5k HMI's we planned on using may mess with the audio track. Will it?

HMI heads running on electronic ballasts can "sing"so you may want to check out the heads. Most electronic ballasts will have a "silent mode" switch which will reduce the amount of resonance in the head but not eliminate it. Since it is the head that sings and not the ballast, you won't be able to move it out of the room.

As for alternatives, it depends on what power is available. How had you planned to power the 2.5 HMIs.

- Guy Holt, Gaffer, ScreenLight & Grip

Hey all, I am going to gaff a pretty large music video in a recording studio, one of those "behind the scenes" types. They will be recording the music live as we shoot the video and I just realized that the 2x 2.5k HMI's we planned on using may mess with the audio track. Will it? Recommend using something else?

Some details that may help you answer my question accurately:

The space is rather large (~100'x200') and sound proofed

It is a 20 piece orchestra and a singer

The HMI's will be about 50-75' from them, shooting into a booklight style setup in the ceiling

The ballasts can be in a different room

Thanks for the help!

Matt

On silent mode the high pitched singing an HMI produces should be very low but it may still be present. However, the frequency the noise produces is much higher than most human voices produce and our ears can detect. I suggest setting up early and letting the heads burn for a while. The engineer should be able to pick up which frequencies they heads are playing on and mute them out of the mix.

The engineer should be able to pick up which frequencies they heads are playing on and mute them out of the mix.

It's true but thats like a sound person saying to another sound person who has a recording unit that pumps out a purple spike of light - "the DOP should be able to fix it in post".

Maybe it's not too bad though, my example is extreme.