R16 Operating Help

Guest Aaron Martin (TX)

Guest The Cardboard Company

Hi all--

I just got my first Beaulieu -- a 1974 R16B. It's got the 17-68 Angenieux lens, a 200' magazine and a 60Hz pilot sync generator that runs to an Uher 1200 reel-to-reel recorder. It's a very cool sync sound setup, and so far I'm happy with my purchase, but the system does have on quirk:

When I attach the pilot sync generator to the camera, only the torque motor for the magazine operates. If I take the magazine off the camera body and leave the pilot sync generator on, the camera does not operate at all. But if I take the pilot sync generator off the camera as well, then the regular camera motor operates perfectly through all speeds. Also, when both the magazine and the pilot sync generator are on the camera, the camera only starts and stops running when you flip the master control switch between stop and the forward filming position, also the needle on the camera speed indicator does not operate -- it just stays on the left hand side of the indicactor (and, once again, only the motor in the magazine operates). Also, when the magazine is on the camera body, but not the sync generator, both the torque motor in the magazine and the regular motor in the camera body operate.

I've looked at the operating manual that came with my camera, but it doesn't mention anything about this type of situation. Has anyone out there encountered anything like this? Is this just normal for an R16B? If it's not normal, is it just a quirk I need to get used to or is it an indicator that something more serious may be wrong with the camera?

Thanks in advance for any help you may be able to provide,

Aaron

Hi all--

When I attach the pilot sync generator to the camera, only the torque motor for the magazine operates. If I take the magazine off the camera body and leave the pilot sync generator on, the camera does not operate at all. But if I take the pilot sync generator off the camera as well, then the regular camera motor operates perfectly through all speeds. Also, when both the magazine and the pilot sync generator are on the camera, the camera only starts and stops running when you flip the master control switch between stop and the forward filming position, also the needle on the camera speed indicator does not operate -- it just stays on the left hand side of the indicactor (and, once again, only the motor in the magazine operates). Also, when the magazine is on the camera body, but not the sync generator, both the torque motor in the magazine and the regular motor in the camera body operate.

I worked for several years with the very system you're talking about and never saw such a problem.It sounds like the master control switch may have a problem somewhere as well as the coupling between the sync pulse generator shaft and the motor.If memory serves me (I had a much older R-16 by the way),this is going back some 25 or so years,there are two motors inside the camera.One for variable and one for constant (24/25 fps).I had mine worked on by Bel Air in LA,don't know if they still exist or not,but they had a guy that specialized in Beaulieus.Have you shot any test footage this way to see if it's running at proper speed?If the torque motor is running and the camera motor isn't,how is it able to run film through the sprockets and gate?You would need the camera motor running to drive the film,wouldn't you?

By the way,how do you intend to blimp your Beaulieu for sync?That was a main source of agravation for me when I shot with one for sync sound.

Guest The Cardboard Company
  By the way,how do you intend to blimp your Beaulieu for sync?That was a main source of agravation for me when I shot with one for sync sound.

Thanks for your response. I haven't run any film through the camera -- I don't have any dummy load handy and obviously I don't want to burn fresh stock.

I've been experimenting with blimping the camera by throwing old coats and blankets over it -- so far the best "blimp" I have found is a wool peacoat...

Aaron

Thanks for your response. I haven't run any film through the camera -- I don't have any dummy load handy and obviously I don't want to burn fresh stock.

I've been experimenting with blimping the camera by throwing old coats and blankets over it -- so far the best "blimp" I have found is a wool peacoat...

Aaron

I used Turkish towells and an finally made something with an old military parka.Trouble with the Beaulieu is,it makes a high pitched whine which I found to be more difficult to blimp than the low pitched grumble of the Bolexes and Arri S and Arri M that I was also using at the time.By the time I got to where I could afford a self blimped camera,the market I was shooting for went to video.

• 2 weeks later...
I used Turkish towells and an finally made something with an old military parka.Trouble with the Beaulieu is,it makes a high pitched whine which I found to be more difficult to blimp than the low pitched grumble of the Bolexes and Arri S and Arri M that I was also using at the time.By the time I got to where I could afford a self blimped camera,the market I was shooting for went to video.

Hey guys,

Mind if I drop in a late entry to your seemingly finished exchange? I have recently score a 50Hz sync pulse unit for my R16. I don't know what year the camera is, but lateish model and in extremeley good nick! (Has an Angenieux 12-120 lens, auto focus and TTL meterin). I have two battery packs for it which have both been re-celled, and a 200' mag with spools, which I've never needed to use. I usually shoot reversal, no sound, to record favourite events. I love the camera and always think of as one of the sports-cars in the 16mm world; ie you may not have all of the luxuries, but you can run with it!

Anyway, I know this is a basic question, but can I use the sync pulse unit merely to regulate the frame-rate of the camera, as having someone watch the tacho and adjust speed accordingly is a pain?! I'd like to shoot a few silent pick-ups for a film (which was mostly shot on an Arri BL). As I've recently decided to go with video finish and will telecine after I have the pick-ups edited in, using a 6-plate Steenback. So ... does it really matter if the film is not running at true 25f/sec when just shooting cutaways without sound?

As well as that, I've never shot sync sound before on 16mm (I also have an H16 and Arri ST) but wouldn't mind having a go with the Beaulieu. The unit has a 6-pin female lead running from it. Where does this connect to? Presumably a sound recorder??

Help! :)

Stuart

Hey guys,

Mind if I drop in a late entry to your seemingly finished exchange?  I have recently score a 50Hz sync pulse unit for my R16.  I don't know what year the camera is, but lateish model and in extremeley good nick!  (Has an Angenieux 12-120 lens, auto focus and TTL meterin). I have two battery packs for it which have both been re-celled, and a 200' mag with spools, which I've never needed to use.  I usually shoot reversal, no sound, to record favourite events.  I love the camera and always think of as one of the sports-cars in the 16mm world; ie you may not have all of the luxuries, but you can run with it!

Anyway, I know this is a basic question, but can I use the sync pulse unit merely to regulate the frame-rate of the camera, as having someone watch the tacho and adjust speed accordingly is a pain?!  I'd like to shoot a few silent pick-ups for a film (which was mostly shot on an Arri BL).  As I've recently decided to go with video finish and will telecine after I have the pick-ups edited in, using a 6-plate Steenback.  So ... does it really matter if the film is not running at true 25f/sec when just shooting cutaways without sound?

As well as that, I've never shot sync sound before on 16mm (I also have an H16 and Arri ST) but wouldn't mind having a go with the Beaulieu.  The unit has a 6-pin female lead running from it.  Where does this connect to?  Presumably a sound recorder??

Help! :)

Stuart

First off the synchro pilot attachment that goes on the side of the camera does NOT control the speed.It merely sends a signal to a tape recorder,a 50 or 60 Hz tone that is a speed refference.This is recorded on a channel of the tape not being used by audio.Later when resolving to mag fullcoat,the speed refference is used to speed up and slow down the recorder in the transfer process.It should make no difference whatsoever when shooting cut aways and such that don't require long running perfect sync.The Beaulieu I had ,had a switch that would go from variable (2 to 64 fps) and sync (24-25 fps)If set on 24-25 and you adjust for whichever at the head of a take,it shouldn't fluctuate much as this setting utilizes a governor type motor.

First off the synchro pilot attachment that goes on the side of the camera does NOT control the speed.It merely sends a signal to a tape recorder,a 50 or 60 Hz tone that is a speed refference.This is recorded on a channel of the tape not being used by audio.Later when resolving to mag fullcoat,the speed refference is used to speed up and slow down the recorder in the transfer process.It should make no difference whatsoever when shooting cut aways and such that  don't require long running perfect sync.The Beaulieu I had ,had a switch that would go from variable (2 to 64 fps) and sync (24-25 fps)If set on 24-25 and you adjust for whichever at the head of a take,it shouldn't fluctuate much as this setting utilizes a governor type motor.

Thanks for that. Of course ... it all makes sense now that I think about it. My R16 also has the same settings as the one you had. It's good to know there is some osrt of governor controlling any big fluctuations in speed.