Bolex Lens

danny bartle

It works, but it's awkward and not that good of a lens. I had one exactly like it years ago, but almost never used it because it's heavy (you need a turret locking cap that screws into the bottom lens port and secures the turret to the camera) and the focus and zoom were quite stiff, although that may have just been my specific lens.

If you unscrew the viewfinder and look down the little vf port into the lens, you can see a kind of beamsplitter and three (if I remember right) small silvered dots which take light passing through the lens and deflect it up into the dogleg finder. The three seperate "dots" allowed a kind of split image focussing.

The finder sticking out also just seemed to always be in the way, and it would get bumped out of alignment (it has to be set just right on the c-mount or your frame will look dutched through the finder).

Anyway, I just thought non-reflex primes were much nicer to use, and a lot sharper.

Thanks Patrick.

The reason I ask this is I have a non-reflex Bolex & I wasn't too sure how accuarate the side mounted octameter is.

I'll be using telephoto lenses, mostly around the 75mm-150mm mark, at a distance of about 30-50 metres away. I'll be shooting surfers from the beach, are they accurate enough to track a surfer going along the wave?

I think the longest lens i ever shot on a non-reflex bolex was 100mm, but was surprised how accurate the side-finder was for framing distant stuff - In some ways it's easier for framing action 'cause you can watch with both eyes, and those viewfinders are nice and bright!

yeh I agree, when looking through the side mounted viewfinder, esp when using faster film or in bright conditions when you have to close the lens more, the side mounted one is good.

I'm gonna run some film through my Bolex & see how it turns out tracking a surfer....