Pro8mm

Guest Patrick Nuse

Guest beanpat

I have just finished a sample pack from Pro8mm in burbank. 16mm Kodak Vision1 320T. some of the transfer shows a lot of white dust and specks, can I correctly assume this occured during the transfer? because if it was in the camera they would be black dust specs would they not? also some of the footage has a blue fuzzy line down one side of the frame and does not look like a scratch, could that be static discharge in the camera? or is it possible this happened somewehere else in the process? does anyone have experience with this place? that amount of dust is ridiculous. I would greatly appreciate anyones opinions.

Thanks

• Premium Member
I have just finished a sample pack from Pro8mm in burbank. 16mm Kodak Vision1 320T. some of the transfer shows a lot of white dust and specks, can I correctly assume this occured during the transfer? because if it was in the camera they would be black dust specs would they not? also some of the footage has a blue fuzzy line down one side of the frame and does not look like a scratch, could that be static discharge in the camera? or is it possible this happened somewehere else in the process? does anyone have experience with this place? that amount of dust is ridiculous. I would greatly appreciate anyones opinions.

Thanks

Dust or debris on the camera raw stock would have left a black shadow image -- for example, "hairs in the gate" are black when viewing the final image. White shadow images could either be dirt embedded in the negative, or loose debris picked up during handling after processing. Normally the first thing to try would be to ultrasonically clean the negative before another transfer. Dirt embedded in the emulsion might require careful cleaning by hand, or a "rewash" process.

A "blue fuzzy line" is most likely a pressure mark, where that area of the emulsion has been kinked or pressured prior to the developing solution, perhaps by running up on a roller. On color negative, pressure lines are usually blue, since the topmost imaging layer is the blue-sensitive (yellow dye forming) layer, and in a tungsten balance film, the blue silver halide grains are the largest, and most sensitive to any abnormal pressure.

Static marks are often blue, but don't usually occur in a straight line, being either "branch static" or blotches.

Guest beanpat
Dust or debris on the camera raw stock would have left a black shadow image -- for example, "hairs in the gate" are black when viewing the final image.  White shadow images could either be dirt embedded in the negative, or loose debris picked up during handling after processing.  Normally the first thing to try would be to ultrasonically clean the negative before another transfer.  Dirt embedded in the emulsion might require careful cleaning by hand, or a "rewash" process.

A "blue fuzzy line" is most likely a pressure mark, where that area of the emulsion has been kinked or pressured prior to the developing solution, perhaps by running up on a roller.  On color negative, pressure lines are usually blue, since the topmost imaging layer is the blue-sensitive (yellow dye forming) layer, and in a tungsten balance film, the blue silver halide grains are the largest, and most sensitive to any abnormal pressure.

Static marks are often blue, but don't usually occur in a straight line, being either "branch static" or blotches.

Thank you for that info. I will check my camera to make shure it did not happen in there.

My experience with Pro8mm has not been good - in fact it has been terrible. I'm sorry to say, because it would be nice to get everything in one place. The first time a transferred there, I used short ends I had bought and thought the white spots and trash might be my camera or the film. The next time I got factory cans plus cleaned my camera EXTENSIVELY and also used a bvery clean rental SR3 and sent it again. Much the same LOTS of debris and white spots (enough to cause extensive post work for me).

The third time, well there was no third time. I switched labs. I paid about one-third as much an the transfer had no grain and no debris or white spots. Sorry to say it, but it their fault. I would try another lab if I were you.

Look into the archives and you could spend hours reading people's negative posts about Pro8mm, although most complaints are the total lack of customer service and bad attitudes, and the fact that everything they do or sell is more expensive than anyone else.

MP

Guest beanpat

Yes, I have noticed that their prices are on the high side compared to other lab's.

I was thinking of Bonolabs, they seem like a good lab to try next, any comments?

does anyone have a recommendation? I like the idea of transfering straight to portable hard disk. It's hard to find this information by word of mouth. every body I talk to about my project can't understand why I want to shoot film in the first place.

• 1 month later...

I too have heard horror stories about Pro8mm 16 and super 8 film/processing.

Try Spectra Film and Video. I just bought a discounted 16mm package from them last week. Included was some very nice processing/transfer.

The great thing for me was that their 16 packages are geared for 100 foot reels or 400' on a core. All the same price. The choice is up to you. Plus, they include new Kodak film of choice with their packages (instead of recans like Pro8).

The 16 packages may not be listed on their web page. I think I had inquire.