Red compression/data rate vs. Arri Alexa

David Grauberger

Hi all,

I'm trying to understand how compression and data rates affect the image quality. Doing some quick referencing (I'll use Epic Dragon sensor since theres a slew of stuff shot on that by now):

Epic Dragon

3K 16x9 ......................................... 3:1 ............ 534 MB/s @24fps

Alexa mini

3K 16x9.................................... ArriRaw........... 1342 Mb/s @24fps

3.2K.........................................ProRes 4444....... 787 Mb/s @24fps

I used 3k to compare to keep it simple and somewhat even playing field. Based on these numbers, I'm seeing the absolute best compression you can squeeze out of RedCode is still almost 1/3 the datarate of ArriRaw. Infact, its still below proRes4444 which many colorists tell me is quite enough dating to do a decent color grade.

If I'm understanding this correctly, Is this what makes Arri King of digital cinema? As Red climbs higher and higher into 8K Montro Sensor, I'm wondering if they are missing something? Is the data rate MUCH more important to get that perfect skin tone look that everyone craves from Arri?

Anyway, I'd love thoughts. I've been a Red shooter for many years, but I'm wondering if the higher "K" madness is somewhat of a gimmick. Arri seems to not care as much about "K"s and focus deeper on color science and (to put it into something quantifiable) data rates....