16mm Lenses & Bolex H16 Rex 4

Aaron Andrew Ang

Hey guys! I was hoping if any of you kind souls are willing to assist me on this! There's a huge lack of support over here in Singapore so I'm venturing out into the unknown!

So I'm currently building a set of 16mm Kern Switars! I have my own set of Bolex H16 Rex 4. From what I understand, I am able to convert the sensor for the H16 Rex 4 from a 16mm sensor size to a Super 16mm sensor size.

I'd love to do that! 

However, may I check if anyone knows this? Will these lenses cover the Super 16mm format?

KERN SWITAR RX Primes 10mm H16RX F1.6
KERN SWITAR RX Primes 16mm H16RX F1.8
KERN MACRO-SWITAR RX Primes 26mm H16RX F1.1
KERN MACRO-SWITAR RX Primes 50mm H16RX F1.4
KERN MACRO-SWITAR RX Primes 75mm H16RX F1.9

I'm also on the hunt for a Kern Macro 50mm F1.4 H16RX. So please reach out to me if you're keen on selling ? Really do appreciate it! 

• Premium Member

There are no sensors in film cameras.. ?

There are currently no reliable Bolex conversion vendors that I would recommend, so unless you buy an already converted camera I would suggest just cropping the standard 16 image to wider aspect ratios in post.

If you do end up getting your camera converted, those lenses should all cover S16. The 10mm only barely covers, so the converted camera needs to have the mount perfectly re-centred otherwise you will get vignetting on one side.