underexposed kodachrome

Did something stupid today. Shooting Super8 indoors wirh tungsten light on kodachrome40 and did not realise that I had the built-in 85 filter engaged. I exposed all my 6 rolls for 40 ASA instead of 25, which means I have underexposed my dear reversal by 2/3 of a stop.

Will I run into any trouble? Is it probable that this has thrown my shots out of focus? Can I throw it all away since the latitude is so narrow?

Please help

Thanks

Olivier

Try to get one roll souped and freeze the rest for now. See how it comes out. It's tough to say what the situation is unless you test it. Your images will be dark and warm. Maybe that will give you just what you want, you never know...

- G.

Hey I just played with my beaulieu and that mysterious filter and to me it seems like it only affects the eye piece for some reason. This filters does not cover the film path but the path that goes from the angled mirror down to the path for the eye piece, so i guess this could be some ND filter for bright situations in the eye piece. Also, it looks colorless. When I move the shutter I can see straight through the gate to the cartdrige department even when the filter is engaged.

Can it be that my beaulieu 4008 features this?

• Premium Member

Best to process and see if the results are too orange from using the 85 in tungsten light. If so, you may be able to correct somewhat during telecine transfer. Not much you can do to fix it in processing.

The Beaulieu 4008 has two built in filters behind the shutter. These consist of a clear UV filter and an 85 filter for correcting tungsten film to daylight. The two filters are mounted side by side and slide horizontally depending on which filter is required.

The camera defaults to the 85 filter unless you put a cartridge in without the lower notch. The absence of this notch in the cartridge pushes a lever which slides the 85 filter away and replacing it with the UV filter (the vision 200T cartridges do not have this notch and so slide away the 85 filter, despite being a tungsten balanced film, as I think it is assumed you will use an external filter - or you can easily cut your own notch)

It is very common for these filters to be damaged and dirty, but are fairly easily replaced by a qualified technician. Many people advocate the removal of the filters all together, but this is often because they are unsure of how to replace them or because of various myths about how they affect the quality of the image.

As far as the underexposed Kodachrome goes with 85 filter, I think that you will end up with a very warm skin tones etc and very deep shadows - which could look great.

I personally try to under expose K40 slightly because it seems to handle it a lot better than over exposue and also I love the look of it when exposed this way - I did this recently with my Beaulieu 4008 with the Angenieux 8-64 lens outside on a sunny winters day - the results were absolutely beautiful.

Matt