Sony HDW-700 Series

Jonathan Bryant

I have only seen downcoverted footage to DVCAM from these cameras. Though I have had a brief encounter with a f900 what are the differences between these two besides 24p and 30p? Both have FIT ccds right? I guess the F900 is 12 bit where as the 700 series is only 10bit?

To my eye the 1080 interlaced footage converted to SD DVCAM looked alittle edgy. Is that normal and just a side effect of using 1080i instead of a progressive system?

What overall do you guys think about the Sony 1080i cameras? Would you rather shoot Varicam for the cinematic look? Or could you deinterlace these to have comparable results to 720p? Is it safe to use one of these cams in HD without a HD lens until I could afford it?

• Premium Member

Even a medium amount of edge enhancement in HD is actually too fine to show up in a downconversion to standard definition -- when you see too much edge enhancement in a downconversion, it's the edge enhancement ADDED by the downconverter / deck for standard definition. It is possible to go into the menus of some of these decks and control the amount of edge enhancement that gets added.