Best hand held option.

SSJR

My choices are not so many:

Has anyone had hand held with these bad boys.

Arriflex 535B

Arriflex 35 BL4 Camera

:P

i've had experience doing handheld with both (and much worse - like a moviecam superamerica or a bl-3 with a 1000' mag and a cooke zoom). of the two i'd choose the 535b as i'm sure it's lighter and its generally a better camera overall; newer, more sophisticated in general.

also don't necessarily run towards using 400' mags either. to me it's not as much about weight as its about weight distrubution, and often times i find using a 1000' mag for handheld felt more comfortable even though it was heavier. simply because all of the weight wasn't on my forearms.

and make sure your buddies are there to take the camera from you as soon as you hear "thats a cut!" and you'll be fine.

• Premium Member

The 535B is much lighter. Should be easier to handhold as well. I've done some handheld with a 535A (unfortunately) and as long as your weight distribution is decent it won't be that bad. Fold up some duvey and use it as a shoulder pad and grit your teeth. The absolute worst 35mm handheld camera has to be the Arri 3, and it's bad mainly because of the horrible balance on your shoulder. If the balance is good, even heavy cameras aren't so bad.

• Premium Member

I've handheld with 535 quite a bit, and it's a heavy camera but rather well balanced. Some guys prefer to shoot with the 1000ft mag to balance it up even more.

BTW, I know a DP who shot an entire feature handheld with the 535A. He is a couple of inches shorter today... :P

• Premium Member

Yeah I worked on a feature where the Dop did both handheld and steadicam wiith a 535A. It was not pretty.

But in general if I know I will only be shooting on dolly and sticks, then I'd much rater have a 535A, because of it's electronic shutter.

Guest hoytevanhoytema
Yeah I worked on a feature where the Dop did both handheld and steadicam wiith a 535A. It was not pretty.

But in general if I know I will only be shooting on dolly and sticks, then I'd much rater have a 535A, because of it's electronic shutter.

are you sure about the 535A on a steadicam? I find it hard to believe....

I did some hand held on it during my last feature, and I liked it with the big magazine for balance... But, longer takes are troublesome... also, running with it is impossible... On a steadicam? Never in my life...

hoyte

• Premium Member

Well, Alfonso Beato told me he used Primo anamorphics on a steadicam for "Dark Water", which I also have trouble believing.

I've never used the 535A and I only did one feature on the 535B, but I liked that camera a lot -- a very bright viewfinder, which is important to me.

• Premium Member

You bet it was a 535A on a steadicam.

This was a really low budget film (around 750.000 ?), so we could not carry two camera bodies. And not hire a steadicam operator, hence why the Dop did it.

Anamorphic Primos on steadicam are okay, as long as it is a lighweight camera. If memory serves right, the lenses are about 5 kilos each, excpet the 50mm, which is 7 kilos. They probably used an XL or XL2, so the weight should have been manageable, the tricky thing is the balance, the camera gets very front heavy with these lenses. I know 2 operators who have done this as well.

• Premium Member
Well, Alfonso Beato told me he used Primo anamorphics on a steadicam for "Dark Water", which I also have trouble believing.

I'm sure it's doable, but probably not preferable. I've not done it myself, so I can't say for sure, but I know that my personal rig (master series) could handle the weight if needed. It would be tough on the operator, but definately within the limits of modern steadicam systems. If there was a lot of steadicam it would wear an operator down quickly though.