Anyone seen this movie?

• 1 month later...

AM is a very good film. I saw it in the theater, and it was one of the best movie experiences I can remember! On repeat viewing it has much less of an impact, and the audience reaction added immensely to my enjoyment of this film. I don't think I've EVER seen an audience laugh so hard as they did in the scene where Mark (the director & "star") is having his friend Mike dub in screams for "Coven" (which Mark prefers to pronounce with the long "OH"... not liking how it rhyme's with oven!). One of the funniest films I've seen, but definitely a documentary filled with true pathos.... the seemingly "dumb" but self-aware Mark REFUSING to accept his lot as a loser. Dreaming of wanting to be an artist, and to make a statement on the realities of life, but possibly without enough talent that such a vision requires. Anyone aspiring to be a filmaker can relate! Very familiar territory...that's what makes the film almost scary! On one hand, you definitely root for Mike in his quest. His perseverence is amazing! Yet you can't help but wonder if this is all a form of arrested development, and ultimately a waste of effort!

One of my top 5 documentaries - along with Gizmo! Roger & Me (before MM became what he NOW is), Theremin: An Electronic Odyssey, and "The Mothers of the Plaza Del Mayo" (a documentary on a grassroots effort in Pinochet's Chile', specifically mother's protesting the disappearance of their children - the only film EVER to make me spontaneously burst into tears at one point).

Whoa....that's a downer to end on. Anyway, all should rent "American Movie". It's very, VERY funny! Check out the comments on IMDB's website if you don't believe me.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought it was pretty funny, but also depressing and scary, as it should be for all of us!

That someone is working so hard to try to succeed at something, however, that hard work is not enough to overcome lack of talent, and all the self-destructive behavior that most losers have in abundance, was depressing indeed.

I have a feeling there are a LOT of aspiring filmmakers like this out there, and I feel bad for them.

Of course, the irony is that he's probably made enough money off this documentary to keep him in Pot for the next 12 years.

I just hope he inhereted his grandfathers trailer home.

I reallly want to see the Theramin film, but can't find it anywhere!

Matt Pacini

• 5 weeks later...

This might be obvious, or you might already have it, but it's available from amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...&s=dvd&n=507846

Great film, made me go get a theremin after watching it... it's very hard to play :P

hope the link is of any use to you...

-felipe.