One light prints from Vision2 - WOW!!!

Erdwolf_TVL

I had 30 feet of colour negative film "printed" to positive by ANDEC Filmtechnik.

And honestly, it blows Ektachrome 64 out of the water for what I would like to use film for.

I will be doing 99% of my work on colour negative from this point onwards!

---

The first 15 feet was shot on 500 ASA film. Inside a dark pub with a non-XL camera and some shots on a gritty tube station. The grain was average, but the results were good, considering the light that was available. The few seconds I shot in daylight with this film is almost indistinguisable from 200 ASA.

The next 15 feet was shot with 200 film in daylight with a +2 Neutral Density filter. The grain of this one is so subtle, you have to squint your eyes to see it.

The colours are very lifelike. Perhaps not as saturated as reversal, but the blacks are solid, and the whole thing oozes quality. And it's only a one-light print!

From shoot to projection, the cost is about double that of reversal.

---

I wonder what kind of stock they used for this?

As far as I know there are no super 8mm print films available from Kodak. Perhaps they use cut down 16 or 35mm stock?

The film is definitely polyester based. Very difficult to cut and film cement has NO effect on it. Better get myself a tape splicer...

---

Either way, a most recommended excercise!

Edited by Erdwolf_TVL

Where did you get this done? I'd always heard that it wasn't worth anyone's while to offer print services for the negative stocks.

Can this be used for workprinting purposes so that I could actually edit on film instead of on video?

The lab that did the works was "ANDEC Filmtechnik" http://www.andecfilm.de/html/start_english.htm

The Wide Screen Centre in London act as their agents in London (to my understanding).

Processing took about 10 days (from drop off to collection) and cost around 30 pounds for 100 feet.

!!! Sorry, I said feet in my previous post when I actually meant meters... !!!

---

As for editing this film, I think it's more than possible, provided you have the tools to work with polyester film. Though it may be worth splicing the negative (which is acetate) and then having the finished negative printed.

---

I'm by no means an expert in this regard, though, so any comments would be appreciated!

Edited by Erdwolf_TVL

Hi Erdwolf_TVL can you post some pics of your test?

thanks

Will do at some point.

Not very high on my priority list right now, since I've already telecined the colour negative.

Would be an interesting comparison.

I doubt whether it would look any better than the direct from neg, though.