Fluos 5000K images

Here are swome images. One is taken in daylight mode and it turns out warm. The other is tungsten mode and it turns out green. I attach as well a image with the bulb brand to see if any one has worked with them.

I will need to mix them up with daylight sources so any new opinions wqill be great.

Thanks again!

Miguel

• Premium Member

Any tube called "Super Saver" is not going to be great in terms of the amount of green!

Anyway, they certainly don't look 5000K. Are you sure about that?

They look closer to tungsten with a lot of green in them.

I don't see anyway of dealing with these affordably if you have to mix them with daylight, other than letting them be warm/green in comparison to daylight. The question is do you really need to match them? Can you allow mixed colors?

It's back to what I said before, IF you want all the lighting to be the same color, then you have to gel everything to match the dominent, easiest to use light source. If it's those flourescents, you're going to need to add orange plus green to windows and HMI's to match. You'd need to use a color temp meter to be exact, but as a starting point, I'd say at least 1/2 CTO + 1/2 Plus-Green on the HMI's and windows to get closer.

It may be easier to turn off those flos and just use the HMI's, or turn off half the flos and swap the remaining flos with Chroma 50's (slight green) or Kino 55's.

You could add Blue + Minus-Green gel to the overhead flos except you'd probably not get enough exposure out of them after that.

Don't make life so hard for yourself. Either get an easier location to light, switch the scene to a night scene, or justify having the flos look orange-green.

Edited by David Mullen

Just a suggestion, Kino flos are less expensive then HMI's. If you can afford HMi's in your package you can afford kinos. The Tube in the picture can be picked up at any home depot type place and placed in a 4-foot kino flo thus matching your temp with your location. Then timeing it out is easy or just leaveing it like so

Just a suggestion

The problem is that I am shooting tomorrow there and I was going to rent 40 units from this place and they rented them to this other production a day before I picked them up. My only shot is getting Cool whites from home depot but I dont know if they are better.

Any sugegstions please?

Thanks

• Premium Member
Any sugegstions please?

Thanks

What you do think I've been doing over and over again in these various threads?

Why would you take the time & expense to replace tubes with other tubes that are blue/green like Cool Whites? Then you still have to add at least 1/2 Plus Green to all your other sources! You'd want to use Chroma 50's or some other daylight tube with a high CRI value (over 92 maybe). VitaLites if you are desparate, but you'd probably need to put 1/4 Plus Green on everything else to match them (even Chroma 50's are slightly green.)

To repeat myself:

(1) Swap as many tubes as you can with something close to daylight without green in them (not Cool Whites), turn off what you can't swap out OR

(2) Turn off the flourescents and light with HMI's only OR

(3) Only light with the flos OR

(4) Gel all other sources (HMI's, windows) with enough Plus Green and CTO to match the flos OR

(5) Gel the overhead flos with Minus Green and CTB to match the HMI's (but you'd lose too much exposure probably)

(6) Live with the color differences!

Look, this is not rocket science. Either you match the color of the lights to each other or you don't. I can't explain it any simpler than that! Either replace the tubes or use gels or turn off the flos or only use flos. If you can't do those things, then live with the color differences.

Edited by David Mullen

Yes,

I did that, the tubes were Ubent shape which suck...and the only palced I found rented them. The thing is that I had to do two things. For a bog dolly shot seeing a lot of hallways I just gelled the other units with 3/4 +green and with my digital cemera checked the color reference and then in kodak look managment I checked and printed out the green. I think I am good, but then for a cutting shot of the dolly with windows references I made the same light but all daylight balanced. Hope it turns out well.

David,

Thanks for all your imput. I ask a lot an dI understand what you said so Thanks once again!

Miguel

Yes,

I did that, the tubes were Ubent shape which suck...and the only palced I found rented them. The thing is that I had to do two things. For a bog dolly shot seeing a lot of hallways I just gelled the other units with 3/4 +green and with my digital cemera checked the color reference and then in kodak look managment I checked and printed out the green. I think I am good, but then for a cutting shot of the dolly with windows references I made the same light but all daylight balanced. Hope it turns out well.

David,

Thanks for all your imput. I ask a lot an dI understand what you said so Thanks once again!

Miguel

I have done some existing light still photography (read: I've been messing around) in the London Underground, using a violet filter. Hoping to cancel out the green bias. I thought of doing the same with film, until I saw the results. Not good!

Correct me if I am wrong here. The green appears to diffuse very quickly when the light is reflected off seemingly white surfaces. In my pics, I found some spots correctly balanced, and some with visibly pink / violet tints. I have never seen this happen with tungsten filters before.