Vintage Angenieux 6.5-52mm teardown HELP!

Casey McCoy

Working on tearing down an old Angenieux for a little project.  I seem to be stuck on one of the external rings.  See photos where I am pointing my screwdriver to focus marking ring.  All external set screws have been removed.  The most outer ring with the focal marks on it is totally loose and free spinning but still being retained by something I cannot see.  Any thoughts on getting this removed?  I have considered it is possibly just stuck but i have taken a torch to it and applied more than ample pressure with no luck.  What am i missing here?!?

https://imgur.com/a/8AWYJEc

• Premium Member

I hope you took lots of photos and noted each element orientation etc. Without a collimator getting the focus marks lined up could be tricky, but I assume this is a mostly a learning exercise? These are quite amazing little zooms for Standard 8mm. The back-focus would need to be accurate to within 0.01mm to keep the zoom parfocal.

I imagine the zoom and focus halves of the lens need to be separated in order to release the focus ring towards the back, though this is just a guess. Often lenses are puzzles you need to unlock. There could be hidden set screws under the ring, accessible only through a hole, or maybe a lock ring somewhere. You probably need to remove the zoom cam ring.