Experimental Film & Ukulele Resource Center

Bryan Darling

We're not open yet, but our aim is to make the SacTown Hippodrome something we think is greatly needed in downtown Sacramento: a non-profit venue that supports and promotes the process of creating art. The SacTown Hippodrome will be a place where local artists can hang out, meet with each other, learn from one another, bounce ideas around, collaborate, and show the results. It will be a place where experimentation, exploration, and risk-taking are encouraged. A place there failure and success are equally welcome. A place where the prevailing perspective--societally, persoanlly and artistically--is endlessly questioned. A place to play the ukulele.

In the beginning, we'll function primarily as a screening room for avant garde cinema--historic and current, international and regional. Over time, we'll become a visual arts gallery; a small performance space for music, poetry, and fiction readings, lectures, discussions and presentations; a library of books, videos, and films; and a resource center with production and post-production equipment. Eventually, we'll conduct workshops and classes.

We're in this for the long haul. Maybe we'll succeed, and maybe we'll fail. But, like all experiments, it'll be interesting to see how it turns out.

Hi, I just wanted to put this out there for the hell of it. My name is Bryan & I've been working with another guy up here in creating a center for experimental cinema. We through the ukelele's in the keep the filmmakers honest :) The name of the place is the Sactown Hippodrome. We have a building in downtown Sacramento and are in the midst of trying to get a contractor to do some work. We're looking at soundproofing, building a stage, installing a lighting & sound system, and more. Eventually we are looking to open a cafe, perhaps in the summer of 2006.

I'm writing because I know some of you out there are very involved in film. I'm hoping to get feedback, suggestions, contacts in various realms--such as building, equipment, education, etc-- and really just to stir some interest and see what comes back. There are very few here in Sacramento that can think outside of the box when it comes to cinema, i.e. the mainstream focus of stars & narrative rehashes of bad stories. We really want to set aside a place where people can look beyond that and into another realm that recieves little to no attention.

Thanks.

post-9458-1132013960.jpg

Edited by tornsprocket