Concorde lights: Used by Storaro

Hey Folks,

I was reading an American Cinematographer article (September 2007) about the movie "Caravaggio," shot by Vittorio Storaro. When asked what type of lighting he used, among other fixtures he mentioned that he liked using Concordes, which contain 7, 16, 24, or 31 globes. I couldn't find anything on them. Are any of you familiar with this unit? I'm guessing that they must be similar to Maxi Brutes?  I'll place the full paragraph below. Thanks in advance.

"...The lights I use on location and in the studio were designed for me by my former gaffer, Filippo Cafolla, and built by the company Iride. These multi-fixture units comprise frames containing anywhere from one to 16 Par-64 globes in different configurations. I also use Jumbos, larger units that are similar to aircraft landing lights and contain eight or 16 globes; or the Concordes, which contain seven, 16, 24 or 31 globes. I’ve been using these types of lights since 1982."

Edited by Gregory Earls
Missed punctuation.

• Premium Member

Jumbos by Iride are similar to MaxiBrutes and Dinos, but use tungsten DC-powered Aircraft Landing Lights (ACLs)  in a spot globe design. Concordes I believe (could be mistaken) use ACLs in a circular pattern that can be tilted inwards or outwards to spot or flood the beam.

14 hours ago, David Mullen ASC said:

Jumbos by Iride are similar to MaxiBrutes and Dinos, but use tungsten DC-powered Aircraft Landing Lights (ACLs)  in a spot globe design. Concordes I believe (could be mistaken) use ACLs in a circular pattern that can be tilted inwards or outwards to spot or flood the beam.

Thank you so much, David! I appreciate you taking the time to answer this question.