#2 serial number, 70mm Mitchell Ex-NASA timing camera on Ebay

• Premium Member

Sorry, I couldn't resist.  Not mine, can't vouch for it or the seller, thought someone on here might have an interest in this #2 serial number camera.

Better have a machine shop, three assistants and an incredible tripod when  you take this camera for a spin...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/326013146829?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=yTc_-1ywTF-&sssrc=2047675&ssuid=gZKdZ7m3Rw-&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

This is quite a fascinating camera. I believe NASA used these to film rocket launches. They used giant military tracking rigs, though maybe a gear head from the Mitchell era will do the trick too.

You will absolutely need a machine shop, because it likely uses Type 1 aerial film, you will need to modify the pulldown claw and registration pins to 65mm perfs.

CinemaGear can almost certainly do it for you, but it will likely be pricey.

I have a PhotoSonics 10B, another NASA 70mm camera I'm currently trying to convert to 65mm. I specifically got the rotating prism model, because I feel more confident in my ability to design replacement transport wheels with new perfs than to re-engineer a Mitchell mechanism.

These cameras' motors also run on 208V 3-phase power. You will need a special generator to get them working in the field.

This camera is not practical for narrative work - but for documentary recording of events like rocket launches, volcanic eruptions, etc, with a proper crew, it could provide beautiful images.

Edited by Geffen Avraham