I am trying to get this look

Trying to get this look shooting wide and close ups of 8 people in a studio.image.jpeg.096d0e892e9c5fe110a6760153fcbb9f.jpeg
I have 2* Aputure 120d and 2* Nova p600c available with 2* 8x8 and 4by frames. I still have the option to modify equipment but it’s a small budget.

They’re all going to be seated and facing the camera like the 3 girls in the middle.image.jpeg.5ac5cfd1be7a6007311b071ad7f30b4a.jpeg

basically what you got here is soft top light.

the first example is one soft light over head and a little frontal.

The 2nd example is like a more complicated version of the first. in the 2nd wide shot you have a big bright source coming from the rear right side of frame edging everyone + a soft top light. that bright source from the rear right is something bigger then the lights you have. Maybe a 1200D instead of 120d could do it.

The top light you would need to cover a set this big would be large - that many people I'd prob build and overhead 12x softbox. you could try finding a way to rig the 8x overhead and bounce light into it.

Edited by Albion Hockney

Posted (edited)

So there was a typo, I meant I have 2* 1200d aputure. But I can swap them for something else if it’s not going to work for this.

I am not creating the look of the second image it’s just a reference of how they’ll be seated.

The top image is only the look I’m trying to create.

Not sure if 12x12 from above would be enough for 8 people, I haven’t used it before or maybe a double 8x8. 

Edited by Simon Osaji

Posted (edited)

Any more idea on the lighting setup?

I am thinking of going with a 12x12 half grid above, with three 4x4 falconeyes matt light through it. And 4x4 frame from the side as fill.

Edited by Simon Osaji

Seems like you have the right idea. big soft source form above(not top) and slightly to the right of camera. kinda reminded me of a book light setup from Shane Hurlbut ASC that was coming from slightly above talent. for 8 people the trick is getting a big enough source to expose all evenly. if you have plenty of prep and lighting time you should be able to dial it in. 

image.png

I think a 12x overhead w/ 4-4x4 LED's is a good source. If you have the brightness I'd go Full Grid or Magic Cloth if you want it to be really even.

If you want to make it moodier Skirt the edges of the 12x w/ duvatene to keep light from spilling onto the background

For fill/eye light I would take another 12x or an 8x and bounce some light into it, but it can be pretty low level.

Edited by Albion Hockney