HD > NTSC Converter for HDW-F900

Dennis Southgate

I'm looking for advice on the best "bang for the buck" downconverter to mount on my new HDW-F900. Sony, Miranda, AJA and Evertz all make them, but with huge differences in cost and convenience. I'm looking for an on camera device to convert HD to NTSC for onset monitoring using a standard monitor. Is there a standard, what are you guys using?

• Premium Member

I usually use the little purple downconverter by Miranda (I think). Fits over the three analog HD BNC "out".

You just need to look at them and see how large they are, how they mount, and how many "outs" they have and how many do you need for NTSC and HD monitoring.

• Premium Member

Why would the NTSC signal not be recordable? It's just a BNC cable carrying an NTSC signal, going to a monitor - and a deck if you wanted to. I've used them on Steadicams and the operator never had a problem recording the take on his little Hi-8 deck.

Don't know about the wisdom of using the signal for dailies since it's just an analog NTSC signal with no time code information. For that, you'd probably need to run an HDSDI cable from the HDSDI box that attaches to the back of the F900, and this signal could go through a bigger converter box, maybe by Evertz. Then there might be an SDI out that could go into a DVCAM deck. Just a guess though. I certainly don't want to start being responsible for generating dailies tapes while on location shooting!

I don't know why it would not be recordable, some of the rental houses state that it's for monitoring only and this one http://www.fvesco.com/rental/video/miranda.htm states "For monitor use only; NTSC signal not recordable."

The bottom line is we are trying to figure out the best (read cheapest) way to get a video signal to NTSC monitors (dolly grip etc.) and from time to time, with timecode to a record deck for dailies. After laying out a huge pile of cash for the F900 and an HD monitor, it's kind of annoying to have to come up with another 10k (Canadian) for NTSC viewing.

I guess for now we'll just rent a Miranda or Evertz box when needed. Thanks for your thoughts.