Adobe Audition

Robert Edge

Guest Charlie Seper

Audition, Sonar, and some versions of Acid will allow you to import a video clip so you can view it while scoring to it, and will also save the audio to the video file when you're done. I'm not sure if Cubase will let you do that. I haven't used Pro Tools but I would assume it can import video.

The thing about Audition that's so good is that its a terrific editing program. Actually, its not that great for multitracking in my opinion. Its built-in real-time effects are extremely heavy on the CPU, so you have to use certain work-arounds to have a lot of tracks (say over 20) with lots of effects. The other option is to use DirectX effects from other programs that are easier on the CPU.

I use a cheaper proggy (Cakewalk's Guitar Tracks Pro) for doing most of my multitracking and use Audition for final wave editing. Its got a great Hard Limiter and Noise Reduction tool. I use it for a lot of clean-up work. You won't find a better wave editor. There's a lot of things it can do that other programs can't. I'm on a borrowed computer. If I was home I'd make some screen shots of some things to show you. I can't check back here until after Dec. 1st though.

Good luck.