on the other side of the edge: Is this too corny?

Guest Gregor Scheer

Guest gregorscheer

Actually I tried to make a film like the ones I loved to see when I was 14 - Explain thorowly how things are made and let dream on what I could invent with this knowlege and skills ...

Sometimes I love it because it is unpretentious filmmaking for kids like I talk to my kids and pick up their curiosity to wake understanding, while explaining simple processes.

Then I doubt: will anyone still want to see that? Is the relevance too hidden? is it in too small of a niche? who will have the patience?

What do you think? http://www.vinestreetworks.com/trailer_rm.htm for windows real player

or quicktime: http://www.vinestreetworks.com/trailer_mov.htm

or more info on http://www.vinestreetworks.com/

these are highly compressed to save you time but are they visible enough to get an idea?

Guest LondonFilmMan

I think its fine if you like that kind of thing. I don't want to sound harsh, but what good would it be to just say "yes, its nice" so here's my critical 2c worth...just my opinion...what what it is worth..I mean well...

- A more traditional style of credits would work better for me. I especially didn't like the ":" bit.

- Images were way too fast and, I felt, out of sync for my palette (I felt bombarded with credits, fast pics, fast music *and* having to learn something about wood, buckets...) A contrast between these elements would have been better.

- You wrote: "like the ones I loved to see when I was 14" ...all very well, but would this appeal to kids now?

- And after all that you ask us "now we shape the (inaudible) for the bucket....mmmmm....what bucket...? Where's the build up to the bucket? And how come we are suddenly making one.. and why? aren't you gonna introduce all those nice folks first? How about you do a "thorowly" good intro instead?

- There is some dialogue...can't quite make it out with all that darn fiddlin' goin' on....

- Then....you throw a bucket of cold water over the boy? One shudders! That didn't work for me as 'he didn't deserve it'. If he had 'been cheeky' throughout, it would have worked. But it felt unjustified. So in other words, there was no build up or reason for that.

- Lastly, "unpretentious filmmaking" Vs "pick up their curiosity to wake understanding, while explaining simple processes" (sounds like a psychologist) = sounds like a conflict of intentions.

The shots themselves were fine as was the idea, but I would say that it need slowing down and editing again with less and a more sensitive use of the music.

Guest gregorscheer

Thanks London Filmman for this very helpful feedback it is true that nothing can replace the new eye on something you have made and seen 1000 times throught the process until what you consider completion. However I understand some of your remarks are directed to a trailer with the expectation to see the real film. I conclude that the trailer does not convey the feel of actual 23 minute film that is rather slow paced (for New Yorkers feel) and includes the presentation of the actors and the showing of the process. If you or anyone else reading this column where willing to look at the entire pierce or spotcheck it I would be pleased to send a file (through sendthisfile.com), just let me know whether you can view DivX or rather rm, avi or mov files, for compression purpouses.

• 2 weeks later...

I only looked at the trailer but I think you are on to something. There are a lot of young people out there who would really enjoy seeing these films and schools who could use them as an adjunct to their curriculam. With DVD release the packaging possibilities are viable. This is a nitch market for sure. If the purpose of the trailer is to promote the entire series then you should add a voice over that clearly states what the series is about. I liked that you made it lighthearted and I think most kids would think it was funny that he dumped water over him at the end. good luck