WARM HOUSE PARTY LIGHTING

i am shooting soon an advert and i would like to achieve the soft warm cozy look of a student house party. (main reference garden state, the party scene). i am shooting on vision 2 200T and i was thinking about using diffusion and slightly underexpose it. the camera is a 16mm arri SR2. would you recommend and filter or gel to use to get that soft tungsten light orangish look? but not extreme, just noticeable...

thanks

federico bonfanti

edinburgh college of art

• Premium Member
i am shooting soon an advert and i would like to achieve the soft warm cozy look of a student house party. (main reference garden state, the party scene). i am shooting on vision 2 200T and i was thinking about using diffusion and slightly underexpose it. the camera is a 16mm arri SR2. would you recommend and filter or gel to use to get that soft tungsten light orangish look? but not extreme, just noticeable...

thanks

federico bonfanti

edinburgh college of art

I guess it is a night party?

Some china balls in the set with photoflood bulbs in it will do the job, they can be hanged easily and they don't require huge wattage.

If you dimm them you will get the warm look you want.

Also use as many practicals as u can in the frame or near the actors, they will give a nice warm-soft look, if placed in the right places.Avoid green/blue ones.Use red, amber or orange.

Dimitrios Koukas

i am shooting on vision 2 200T and i was thinking about using diffusion and slightly underexpose it. the camera is a 16mm arri SR2. would you recommend and filter or gel to use to get that soft tungsten light orangish look? but not extreme, just noticeable...

Is it going to be timed in telecine? If so, I wouldn`t use any filter in front of the lens. Filter it later in telecine. It`s easier to see what you get and you don`t destroy your neg. Try to overexpose the neg in nominal manner (200asa exposed 125 asa, as an example) to get rich color saturation and fat blacks, regarding the amber hues, as an additional alternativ to dimmed chinese lanterns (dimmers are more expensive than gels), you can put some 1/2 or 3/4 or full cto - or even more - around the lanterns, Depends on what you like. You will need some fast lenses unless you`re not going to put lots of lanterns to the whole scene. Good luck.