LED Eye-lite

rucine

as far as I know in "The War of the Worlds" Janusz Kaminski used the new lighting device like LED Ringlite but in the form of an eye. Does somebody knows about this device? Especially i would like to know about it spectral characteristics.

• Premium Member

Hi,

If it used white LEDs, as do every LED ringlight I've seen, it'll be very blue, beyond daylight, around 10,000K, with a tendency to go purple as the emitters age. The spectrum is reasonable, though, and filters well - although I haven't ever had to match it to anything for film.

Phil

I use the gekko kisslight often, I find the colour balance is great on film or tape. I think it s such a great light I am buying one (at $8000 it s no small feat).

The new lumileds out of silicon valey are great. They come as tungsten or daylight and are very very bright.

the spectral graphs and the like are here.

http://www.lumileds.com/pdfs/DS25.pdf

Edited by thomas-english

The litepanels are great little fill lights. Just realize that they are not super-bright blasters, most of a soft glow. Great for close shots or putting a twinkle in the eye. Their ringlight is quite nice as well. I know of several big time actresses who have it in their contracts that these lights must be on the camera when they are photographed.

I work on the TV series Everwood from time to time and DP Bruce Johnson uses the Arri litepanel on nearly every shot. Its a nice device. It does not throw a lot of light, but if you just want a touch of light and something in the talents eye (its pretty much required by the production for this type of show) it works great. It's almost flat, its maybe three inches thick, and emits hardly any heat. It's also fairly controlled for a soft light. Extremely easy to set up and use too. There is an article in the AC about the show and the DP and Gaffer talk about using it too. I can't remember exactly, I think its the issue with The Island on the cover.

Travis

• 2 weeks later...

At the BSC show this year I saw a prototype LED ringlight that Barry Ackroyd had designed and was marketing through Cirrolight in the UK - www.cirrolite.com/new_product_cineled_1.html - if I remember correctly it had a foam backing, either 3220k or 5600k and was very lightweight. Nick

• 3 weeks later...

The Ledlight is coming strong in the US I see. We saw an ad with my friend and we were' immidetialy exited about these. I haven't seen these Ledlights in Finland yet. I'm a big fan of kinoflows. What's the main difference between Ledlight and kinoflow? Is the ledlight faster to use?

An engineer stopped by where I work and saw the ad for the ledlight and then he told me that you could "quite" easily build your own ledlight for a fraction of the official ledlight's cost. Of course it's not the same thing but it sounded intresting.

• Premium Member
What's the main difference between Ledlight and kinoflow? Is the ledlight faster to use?

Looking at the photometrics, the 5600K KISSlite outputs 42FC @ six feet. That's comparable to a Diva200, which is 45FC @ six feet. The Kamio ring lite is much, much less. They don't even publish the photometrics beyond 4 feet, because it is so little.

Still, 8 Grand? Not for me.

http://www.gekkotechnology.com/kisslite.html

http://www.kinoflo.com/sales_catalog_2004/...amio6e_sys.html