CP-16 & C-mount Question

Paul Vanderhoof

Guest Ian Marks

Paul, there is also an adapter to mount Nikon still camera lenses to your camera... If I had a choice between being able to mount Nikon lenses or C-mounts, I'd go for the Nikons... a range of good, reasonably fast Nikon lenses can be put together for very little money. Of course for wide angles, you'll need something else. You can also find Arri-to-CP adapters which attach to Arri lenses with little set screws, and effectively transform the Arri-mount lens to a CP mount. You do have to check carefully to make sure that the back element doesn't protrude so far into the camera that it strikes the CP's mirror shutter. There are a lot of "plain" arri mount lenses (as opposed to the Arri Bayonet) available at good prices. Hope this helps.

The primary reason for wanting to use c-mount lenses is that I have a Century 3.5mm, a Schneider-K 10mm, and a Computar 12.5 all in c-mount and reported by others to cover Super 16mm (or Ultra 16mm also). On 25mm and up, choice of primes is pretty large because I've seen Arri, Aaton, Nikon, Canon, etc adapters to CP. The wides are pretty damn expensive and I already have some good ones in c-mount.

I have a choice now between an Angenieux 10-150 F2.2 (already have it) that's been very sharp at F4.0 and an Angenieux 9.5 - 57. So I feel reasonably covered at the longer end. I will want some primes in 25-50 range for getting close to the actors and closer focusing.

Thanks for your advice and thanks in advance to anyone else.

Paul