Chronicles of Narnia

• Premium Member

I read "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe" as a boy and was very excited to see it made into a big budget feature and to see an ASC member doing the cinematography. Don McAlpine ASC, ACS did an impressive job on this film.

I found it interesting how he managed to get that super shallow DOF on relatively wide two shots. I'm guessing that was a result of putting the background out of focus during the DI.

Aslan was well done but I found that he looked soft on CU's. That could have also been a result of the DI but when shooting the animatronic Aslan it would be difficult to keep the nose and eyes both in focus without using a wide angle lens (which can look odd in CU's) and/or a ton of light.

I was also a little dissapointed when I saw the first CGI shot of the White Witch's reindeer. It was almost like they didn't care very much about making anybody but the main characters look real.

As a film and a story, I think this was one of the best book adaptations I've ever seen. The filmmakers translated this story onto screen much better than either previous versions.

Guest Charlie Seper

I'm such a fan of the book series that I'm already predisposed to NOT likeing the film. :lol: That said though, I'm sure it'll be far better than any previous attempts to date. They've all been dreadful so far. I still think that aniamtion is the only way to go when dealing with talking animals but CGI would still be much better than putting some guy in a lion suit, so maybe it won't bother me too awfully much. :unsure: