getting that mystical glow on one character

Jay Cowley

im shooting a video in a dark high school, in which one girl is always EXTREMELY bright, whatvever the background may be.

I'm kinda thinking like the look on they had on Touched By an Angel, where the one angel was always unreaslisticly illuminated. The outline of her hair was really bright white, just made her stand out from everything, with this mystical look.

Where can i positon different lights to get this effect on this one character.

• Premium Member
Be careful to frame out/move anything thats white. you only want the halation around the angel. dont overexpose too much for video (I assume you have a prosumer version camera, please correct me if thats wrong)so watch the backlighting.

Since he wants "EXTREMELY BRIGHT" some clipping in video with the backlight is unavoidable to create the burned-out effect.

Above and behind your talent, boom out a small (150-250W) focusable fixture with a diffusion gel. Something like a Pepper 200. Screw down the focus on the fixture so that just a little of the light shows around the edges of her face/body. You might have to use some Black Wrap to get it just right.

In the old days, when they wanted an actress to glow, the DP would put a little smear of Vaseline on the lens. See almost any movie with Barbara Stanwyck and you'll see the effect. Today, of course, we use SoftFX and Skin Tone Enhancer filters in front of the glass.

On "Double Tap", I had a scene in which a ghost, the deceased wife of the protagonist, makes an appearance in an Irish Pub. The pub was dark with lots of architecture and character specials. The actress playing the deceased wife was costumed in a flowing, white nightgown. Since she didn't have to move around much, she received a special from a source four ellipsoidal near camera with a 14/ blue. She definitely popped in the scene.

That was shot on a Varicam "H" so no halation effects possible as Mr. Mullins notes. Use that front light with some of the hair/back lights suggested by others and you should arrive at a really nice look.

Edited by Michael Morlan