International distributors

• Premium Member
For example, I have made a film.

It is about an hour.

It`s quality is good enough to be shown on TV.

Are there some international distributors to sell this film?

At least in the U.S., there really isn't a market for an hour-long movie. A TV documentary, maybe. Features have to be over 80 minutes usually, or it has to fit into an hour broadcast time slot, which usually aren't dramatic narrative projects. Don't know about European TV.

There are international sales agents, who tend to be useful since you have to sell to each country's or region's market one at a time, especially for TV. But even they might be stymied by the one-hour length.

• Premium Member
And do you have some info about these international sales agents (their web-sites, for example...)?

No, I'm not a director, I'm a cinematographer -- I've never had to sell a movie I made. It's sort of a shady business actually, and made up of a lot of backroom deals with individuals who call themselves sales agents, because they have personal contacts in the regions. You meet them at film festivals like Sundance or Cannes.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest gregorscheer

Is my impression too, however I hate to judge too fast so I posted the following to the blog that he also maintains. Will let you know what comes out of it.

Hi Stacey, I was intreagued by your posting as I have been looking for distibuters or agents without success for a niche market of films that we intend to produce.

The intended title of the series is " How things are made" , the films fit in a half hour slot. are originated on Super 16mm film and can be delivered in any HD or SD video format. We have released a pilot with the title "A Wooden Bucket- the White Cooper's Craft in 1850"

The Film is made in historic Richmond town in Staten Island, New York. It features the ressident Cooper Norm Pederson who instructs his 13 year old apprentice Thomas on the tools and procedures involved in the making of a Wooden Bucket from splitting the wood to finish.

Along the way a few notions of applied natural science, math, geometry, and technologiy are conveyed and subjects for history and social sciences exposed.

The films are targeted for students 12 - 16 yers old but are also appreciated by a gebneral public interested in historic Crafts.

So far we have distributed the film successfully throught the Boces educational media centers and the public library system in the state of new york, and the pilot has been shown on pulic television here.

We think that the next efford to distribute and presell the series should include the other US states educational and public library networks and Television Stations.

Next step should be the other english speaking countries followed by translations. So far translations exist in german and spanish.

We are not qualified to generate this bigger efford of distributions ourselfs and more interested in further productions.

More information about our program at www.vinestreetworks.com

What do you think