1014 xls

Tim Myers

Guest Ian Marks

This camera was produced back when Kodak was producing Super-8 film cartridges with a sound stripe. Sound was recorded on a magnetic sound stripe alongside the image, and could be played back on projectors equipped with a magnetic sound pickup, amplifier and speaker. Kodak discontinued the "sound" film years ago. Thus, this *was* a "sound" camera when the Super-8 format was at its zenith; now it's just a very good silent camera.

In fact, many people claim that the 1014 XL-S is a good camera to use for sync sound. The accurate electronics and motor drive will maintain sync for a good minute. Spectra specializes in rebuilding these cameras as well as others they have for sale on their site. You may want to contact them to ask specific questions you have concerning camera features. They are very helpful - even if you are buying the camera elsewhere. www.spectrafilmandvideo.com

Edited by Mike Crane

"Canon 1014xls is easier to hand hold imo. I would go for the 1014xls."

But isn't the xls bigger? One of the main reasons I've been staying away from the xls is because it looks bulkier. The 1014 electronic looks much more mobile, lighter, and easier to hand hold. Anybody else think the xls is easier?

And as far as quality goes, which one will give me prettier movies?

And everyone keeps reminding me that the 814 isn't all that bad either. Is it as mobile as the 1014 electronic? I'd really like to walk around with this camera all day with as much convenience and as little hassle as possible. Thanks for all the help!

just ordered a 6080 off german ebay: $250 with shipping...can't wait!

jk

Not wishing to dampen your spirits, i just hope that horrible drive belt within the camera is in good condition.

Make sure your claw works ok on receipt of the camera.

Andy

what kind of tests should i perform upon receipt?

jk :ph34r:

Hi, apart from the usual iris check etc, make absolute sure the claw is operational, make sure the claw moves up and down. I think the thing that turns the centre of the cartridge within the camera still works ok, despite the claw not working, but i cant quite remember. Get a test film thru the camera asap. The only downside to these great cameras, infact all the braun 4080,4056,6080 etc series of camera is a stupid drive belt within the camera that stretches over time, causing the claw to stop working. Its a pig to replace btw.