the shogun assassin

does anyone know technical informations about this film? which camera, lenses and film stocks where used? it has got a particular look and i always wondered...it looks like anamorphic but the picture its way more stretched...

---Since the two movies it was edited from were made in 1972, it would be on eastman 5254, 100T, the only Kodak color negative availiable at the time. Unless it's Fuji, but more likely Kodak.

It was filmed in TohoScope. So it could be any anamorphic lenses.

When Toho introduced TohoScope in 1957 or 1956, they had an attachment which had nice specs; but it wouldn't be used with zooms and long lenses. By 1972 they'd be using newer lenses.

I've never seen the DVD, so I don't know what you mean by stretched out.

My first guess is that the top and bottom of the image is cropped to hide splices.

If the stretch is only on close ups, it could be 'anamorphic mumps' due to using older anamorphics.

I'm inclined to doubt that.

Else a bad transfer.

Cameras are probably Mitchells, NC, Mark II/S35R, high speed, and Arriflex IICs.

A guess based on what would have been availiable at the time. I've never seen photos of Japanese crews using BNCs.

Oh, the two movies are 'Sword of Vengence' and 'Baby Carriage on the River Styx'.

---LV

the dvd release in the uk has got a much more cropped picture which is definitely narrower than normal anamorphic...but i have just seen this version so i cant tell. it looks a wee bit odd. and was it 16 mm, right?

---No, it was made in 35mm anamorphic.

If the UK version is a bootleg, it could be transfered from a 16mm print.

I just looked it up on eBay, and the UK versions' covers appear to be bootlegs.

There is a 9 disc boxed set of the entire 'Lone wolf and Cub' sries which would very probably be transfered from 35mm.

---LV