C.P. GSMO and C.P. Ultra T Prime Lenses

Joe Walker

I may be possibly looking into purchasing another GSMO, I owned one a while back and sold it for reasons unknown. Anyway, does anyone know of anybody who could convert this to Ultra 16mm (my reason being that I wouldn't have to purchase the more expensive lenses that cover the Super 16 frame). Furthermore, I found a camera house selling a C.P. Ultra T Prime Lens set. I was wondering if anyone knows if these lenses have 80mm fronts so that they can interface with conventional matte boxes. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

I may be possibly looking into purchasing another GSMO, I owned one a while back and sold it for reasons unknown. Anyway, does anyone know of anybody who could convert this to Ultra 16mm (my reason being that I wouldn't have to purchase the more expensive lenses that cover the Super 16 frame). Furthermore, I found a camera house selling a C.P. Ultra T Prime Lens set. I was wondering if anyone knows if these lenses have 80mm fronts so that they can interface with conventional matte boxes. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

The Ultra T Primes are made by Kowa.

They came out at about the same time as the first series of Zeiss bayonet mt. High Speeds. Thus prior to the intrduction of PL mt. and standardization of 80mm front.

They have either a 52mm or 58mm filter thread. probably 52mm, with the Zeiss being 58mm.

---LV

Guest jeremy edge

I would stay away from ultra 16(although it was a great idea that never came to fruition!)search the forums and you'll see why it's a harder road to go.

The 12,16 and 25mm ultra t's will cover super 16.The 9.5 will not.

Les Bosher can convert your camera to super 16.

lesbosher.co.uk

You are headed down the same route I am.

I have the 25mm and I am looking for the 12mm

Are you sure you want to go with a GSMO? I spoke with someone who was on the original CP team that developed the camera and the big flaw was a circuit board that would overheat and fry itself. This is a design flaw of ALL GSMO cameras and there is not only no available cure, there is now no replacement parts when that board goews up in smoke. You might be living on borrowed time.

A great little camera that never caught on with the competition from the Arri SR, Aaton LTR and Eclair ACL. But now it's a gamble.

Guest Ian Marks

I believe (but I'm by no means sure) that George at Optical Electro House in Culver City, California, has a fix for the circuit board problem.

To be a bit more specific, I've already talked to George Zorzoli and yes he can repair the circuit board glitches. I love the GSMO for it's price point. No other 16mm camera can compare to the price point of this little gem. I know, you get what you pay for. But for it's size and price, I love it. Arri's, Aaton's, and Eclair's are all great cameras. I still love an XTR Prod when a client will fork over the money to rent one, but as far as just owning a little 16mm, I think the GSMO is great. If it had a variable shutter angle, I'd be in heaven. Mitch, is it possible to buy a 16mm for under $10,000 that can do mutliple speeds with an adjustable shutter angle and NOT have a giant motor protruding from the bottom?

Guest jeremy edge

From what I understand (correct me if I'm wrong) is that George replaces the board with a modified tobin board so you basically have new electronics.....It has more speed options than the stock board from what Ive seen.

I got my GSMO with 2 400ft mags off ebay for $1200 and it hadnt been fired up in 4 years so I sent it to Ian Love at Clairmont LA. I had the problem with fried traces and components...he told me he could probably fix it though....he said if the board was irrepairable I could send it to George and have it gutted. Well I wont say what Ian charged me here but he saved me a lot of money! He got all speeds working except for 64 fps which runs wild.He says the camera's divider chip has a problem with that speed.So I am quite happy. I fire it up every two weeks to make sure theres no buildup.

I spoke to Ken Hale at Whitehouse av and he says he is thinking of trying to collect GSMO parts and put together some packages which will be really cool. he also said a divider chip may be floating around somewhere.

The GSMO is a cool camera if taken care of.It has it's quirks. If you have board problems,chances are it can be repaired..if not ,I know people are really happy with the new boards that George put in their cameras and you'll have a good camera no matter what.

To be a bit more specific, I've already talked to George Zorzoli and yes he can repair the circuit board glitches. I love the GSMO for it's price point. No other 16mm camera can compare to the price point of this little gem. I know, you get what you pay for. But for it's size and price, I love it. Arri's, Aaton's, and Eclair's are all great cameras. I still love an XTR Prod when a client will fork over the money to rent one, but as far as just owning a little 16mm, I think the GSMO is great. If it had a variable shutter angle, I'd be in heaven. Mitch, is it possible to buy a 16mm for under $10,000 that can do mutliple speeds with an adjustable shutter angle and NOT have a giant motor protruding from the bottom?

Just wanted to pass something on.....I was told that the GSMO problem is not overheating.....the camera's board has some sort of (battery?) and it builds up a back-charge when not being on for long periods of time.this charge can fry traces and circuit board components.

Hey, don't get me wrong guys. I think the Gismo is a great little camera. I was not aware that there was a fix for the electronics issue. There's a lot of positive for the little camera. I've even seen a couple converted to Super-16, although I don't know how well it converts and what problems may arise. Glad to see there's still life for the suckers. I know there weren't that many of them ever made--did production top 500 units?