GLOSSY LOOK

hi,

i often notice in some films what i call a "glossy look", a very diffused image. think for istance about "big fish", opposed to "the recruit". the first has got this shiny and glossy halo effect and the second one is very crisp and neat, almost in your face. is that "glossy look" achieved with a particular filter or is the film stock itself? if it is the stock which one would it be? and to get a VERY crisp but not grainy look which one would be used?

i know i keep asking these things but i am trying hard to learn the secrets of film stocks, and this forum helps

freddy

Edited by federico bonfanti

Hi,

Sounds like you want a 'pro-mist' or similar type filter, 'classic soft' is another one or 'Gold/black diffusion FX' filters are good too, the more over exposed the highlights when using most diffusion filters, the more halo you will get, and the more pronounced the affect will be.

Generally if you want a crisp look you avoid difussion filters and go for a slower film stock; 200 speed and lower is good, also Kodak Vision2 stocks seem to be lower in grain and crisper than most other stocks (in my opinion/exprience).

Cheers.